Forum home Problem solving

Tree fungus ( cherry tree)

my sister has sent this picture to ask advise I think it’s a parasitic fungus would you agree if so no treatment  can help does it need chopping down. Please advise many thanks Gwen from Fareham

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,467
    Hello Gwen and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately no picture has appeared. If you look above the box you type your text into you will see a little rectangle with what appears to be a mountain in it. Click on this and follow the instructions to post your picture.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • my sister has sent this picture to ask advise I think it’s a parasitic fungus would you agree if so no treatment  can help does it need chopping down. Please advise many thanks Gwen from Fareham

Ladybird4 said:
    Hello Gwen and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately no picture has appeared. If you look above the box you type your text into you will see a little rectangle with what appears to be a mountain in it. Click on this and follow the instructions to post your picture.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,467
    It is definitely a type of bracket fungus Gwen and unfortunately there is no treatment. The tree may struggle on for a few years but the main body of the fungus will be under the bark and growing into the heart wood. This weakens the tree which will eventually die.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    My understanding is that bracket fungus can only live on dead wood, so the tree was probably already dead or dying when the fungus arrived. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Well thank you so much the tree did flower last year but  seemed  to strugggle after so this is when the fungus must have set  thanks for the comments it’s been a help Happy new year and good gardening