Meme

I live in the southeastern United States.  I am having trouble finding horticultural grit.  Should I ask for course sand?  Can anyone help me?

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 323
    you could just use any grit and wash it before use.    sand would be substantially smaller particles than grit.  plus with sand, you get several types, some best used in mortar, some best used inbetween pavers(without cement) and i would hazard you'd call them different names to what we'd label them in UK.  most of this forum are UK residents, so no sure you'll get a great deal useful help here!
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 156
    Use aquarium gravel instead.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 871
    Some people use cat litter in lieu of horticultural grit. Use the non clumping kind.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,811
    What exactly do you require grit for ?  There could be alternatives which you may be able to source more easily. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,836
    As Rik says, aquarium gravel will work well, but it's an expensive alternative.
    You need to avoid anything that will change the pH of the compost/soil so avoid anything with limestone.
    The type of sand used in the UK for gardening is known as sharp sand which is quite gritty.
    Avoid builders sand and soft sand - they will both have the opposite effect and may have contaminants.
    I guess even gravel (for driveways) would work depending on what your intended use is, but again avoid limestone gravel.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.