Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse Cylinder auto-vents: How do I set temp? + ideal opening temperature?

Hello all,  Re Greenhouse cylinder auto-vents (i.e. the ones sat in the greenhouse roof that automatically open/close a roof pane depending on the temperature).  I have a new greenhouse, it will be used as a "cool" greenhouse (i.e. it stays above 7.c during winter in order to keep the plants alive).  But once it hots up in spring/summer, what temperature range should I aim to keep it within? In other words:

1. What is the best temperature to set the cylinder auto-vents to open/close at? 

2. How do you set the auto-vents to open at a certain temperature in the first place?

Thanks for any help!

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,117
    Some basic ones don't have any adjustment, they are preset to open at a fixed temperature.  Others may have a twist adjuster or a range of holes for the rod to be attached to depending on the required opening temperature.
  • KT53 said:
    Some basic ones don't have any adjustment, they are preset to open at a fixed temperature.  Others may have a twist adjuster or a range of holes for the rod to be attached to depending on the required opening temperature.

I'll have a look tomorrow, thanks. :)
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,105
    I have one that opens at about 20c I set it by trial and error and got lucky within a couple of tries.