Forum home Tools and techniques

Decapitate Cordyline Australis?

2»

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,878
    I've never seen one come back to a nice shape , which is part of my dislike , they're very intolerant of any pruning
    Devon.
    nspb... not since poxy brexit?
    Devon.
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,348
    edited January 2020
    Can't help with the Cordyline, as I have one (I like it) and am also contemplating chopping the top off as it's got very tall. So am watching with interest.

However, I do know what &nbsp is. It stands for Non-Breaking / Non-Bulleting SPace. It's a bit of HTML code which creates a space and isn't normally visible. If it's showing on a page it probably just means that some of the code around it is not quite correct. That's not a great explanation but I can't think how to explain it without also explaining how HTML works. Anyway, it's nothing to worry about.

PS I should probably have said that HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) is just the basic code in which web pages are written. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,348
    Thanks for the chocolates, @philippa smith2. My explanation was rubbish, sorry. I could probably explain a little better by typing out a load of code with and without the use of &nbsp to illustrate where it has come from, but to be honest it really doesn't warrant the effort involved, for either of us!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Well, you folks have been busy whilst I was away...
    Thanks for all your replies and input. 
    Seems that the general consensus/experience is that it will regenerate shoots after being cut, which confirms what I had expected.
    I like the structural quality of my 3 CA's and do not intend to remove this one if I can help it.  
    @UpNorth many thanks for taking the time to post a Q&A elsewhere. I'll sharpen my saw for May. I have a 2 year affiliation with this plant, It flowered last year but not the previous year. The perfume that it filled the garden with for 3 weeks was intoxicating. 
    @Rik56 no risk of it falling over, on the contrary I think, I expect it to just keep growing taller upto some 8m according RHS info. I would like to restrict it at it's current height or a little less and chopping it seems to be the only way to do so.
    Cheers,
    Owd

Just another day at the plant...
    let's see how it progresses @owd potter
    Devon.
  • Hi @owd potter 

do you happen to have an update re you’re  tall Cordyline? 

I beheaded one two tall trunks on mine last May (2021) … no signs of new growth yet at chopped trunk or base :( . However the trunk I left tall has flowered on three of four of its crowns! Heading for the one tall muppet look for now I guess!

all the best