Forum home Plants

Daffs already up!

Hi all,

I made a hames of my attempt at a wildlife garden in the summer, so decided to plant bulbs through the grass instead, September into October.  Daffs, tulips, crocus, and a few others.  Quite a lot of them are coming up already and I think I will have flowers within a couple of weeks.  I'm glad they are actually growing but the wind and rain here will murder them before I get a chance to enjoy them!  Maybe they are early because we haven't had any frost so far?  Right on the coast so we only get the odd day usually.  All opinions welcome 😊

• purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,265
    Daffs will come up now, but if we get a very cold or snowy spell they will halt and then continue growing when it gets warmer. Earliest I've had daffs in flower is the end of January,  but only in a sheltered corner of the garden. 🙂
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,876
    I once saw daffs in flower in xmas eve, but only once
    Devon.
  • Mine are fairly sheltered too, so hoping the wind doesn't scorch them..  I'm a bit like an expectant granny, checking on them, trying to stop the bloody cats trampling on them, or worse...
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 970
    We normally have daffs in flower New Years day but not this year, they will be lifted shortly and replanted deeper.
  • Quite a lot of things are sprouting up or buds are swelling etc. I think it's just because it's generally mild but as purplerallium says if we get a cold snap it will check them then they will surge again when it thaws.
    AB Still learning

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Lots of budshere too, a result of a very wet spring and hot summer.  Daffs are open in the village but not here yet, although they are up,  odd couple of snowdrops open not all. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• katiem111katiem111 Posts: 36
    Hi all, an update on the daffs, and a picture if I can manage it.  All my hard work paid off and I'm over the moon.  They are a bit wind blown, and I should have tied the tall ones sooner but will be better prepared next year.  Does anyone have suggestions for summer flowering bulbs for lawn?  Nothing too tall as it's always windy here.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,935
    They look lovely 😊 

Alliums can be grown in grass ... but they need to have been planted in the autumn

https://www.sundaygardener.co.uk/growing_alliums.html

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• katiem111katiem111 Posts: 36
    I actually bought allium but they are tall so decided not to plant them.  will plant them this year and support them.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,838
    Don't tie up the leaves, let them do their job of feeding the bulb for next year. They need about 6 weeks after flowering to do this so let them die off naturally if you can.