Forum home Fruit & veg

Small leeks

Could I raise my leeks (been in for 8 months) and transplant them for more growth...or will they just start to seed?

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,444
    They will run to seed very soon, cut one open now and you'll probably find the flower spike already forming inside, if there isn't one you may get a bit more growth as the days get longer before they bolt.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,368
    Yes, I agree with Skandi,  they will flower and set seed this year so I’d harvest and use them pretty soon. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,444
    edited January 2020
    My leeks are very small this year too and so are my daughter's. Maybe it was because of the hot summer.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    My leeks are weedy and pathetic too. More like spring onions. I've not had this before so agree probably weather related. Still taste good though x
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,797
    I am reassured by this - it's the first time I've grown them and they're very small. I thought I'd done something wrong but perhaps not. We're having a meal that calls for baby leeks this evening - might just cut my losses and harvest the lot!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero