Forum home Wildlife gardening

Jays

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,535
Just had two Jays inspecting my back garden.

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.

• GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 190
    Nice looking birds.

Nastier than magpies though. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,020
    Tthey can empty a garden of small birds in seconds.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,535
    B£.............is that because they are bullies.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 190
    They're opportunistic predators - on pretty much anything.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,109
    Their screech is quite frightening too - I often see then chasing magpies or vice versa
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,575
    As do foxes, when they rampaged through all my chickens, just maiming them all and taking one for dinner. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SandygardenSandygarden Posts: 112
    Jays do eat fledglings, but small birds have large broods to off set this predation and numbers should stay stable, (unless other environmental factors affect them) We have Jays, magpies and lots of small birds in our garden. The jays are beautiful and very welcome.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,615
    Already commented on another thread, we seem to be seeing a lot of Jays both in the garden & the Allotment. Usually hardly ever see them but seem to be around every day at the moment.
    AB Still learning

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,458
    Already commented on another thread, we seem to be seeing a lot of Jays both in the garden & the Allotment. Usually hardly ever see them but seem to be around every day at the moment.
    It seems to have been a bumper acorn year here and apparently we get additional migrant birds from Europe if the harvest has been poor there. Some years we get large numbers of migrants so it may turn out to be an irruption year for them if people are seeing a lot of activity. I've seen quite a few this year already but we're in a stonghold area for them here and migrants probably won't have made it this far west.