Forum home Garden design

New build - WSW facing garden

Hi

I have just bought a new build which we move into in June. However, as soon as we move in I'd like to have a garden landscaper on hand to do the garden so we can enjoy the summer in it. The builders will just leave it as soil with a patio (see below).

I am a novice when it comes to gardens and wondered if you could help by answering a couple of questions.

1) Where in the garden will get sun? It is WSW facing. Picture above.

2) The builders have agreed to build a patio at the back of the house. Each slab is 45 cm and we need to specify the size. How big would you make this to ensure it gets sun throughout the day?

3) When we get it landscaped would you look to put in any more seating areas or would the patio be sufficient?

We want low maintanence, fake grass and a couple of flower beds. Your advice would be welcome as to design. We have about £3 or 4K to spend on someone doing this for us, but appreciate the fake grass is expensive so design is key.

Many thanks

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,862
    Hello @david.addy and welcome to the forum  :)
    My comment re the patio would be to make sure that you allow plenty of room to walk round any furniture you plan to have, l would definitely make it as big as you can to allow for that. Your builders should be able to advise. Depending on the position of the sun, and any nearby buildings, you might want to consider having another seating area, say for morning coffee or the evening glass of wine (my compass knowledge is not that good, as you can probably tell !).
    My other comment would be, that this being a gardening forum,  your use of fake grass may not go down too well , but it is your garden and if that's what you want, l would advise shopping around in person rather than relying on the internet, and buying the best you can afford. 
    Finally,  l wish you every happiness in your new home and garden .
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,822
    I like the shape of the garden, it would be nice to divide it into several interesting spaces/corners/rooms but that's probably not something you would like.
    I would recommend making the patio as big as you need it or want it, depending on the intended use. It's hard to advise regarding the sun. It looks like the garden is going to be fairly sunny but how much exactly and when nobody can say because we don't know how high are the houses around, if there are any other high obstacles etc. My guess would be that the patio is going to be too sunny, at least it would be for me.
    Other seating areas would depend on views you get there - where it would be pretty to sit and where not, also considering privacy - again, we can't know. But I would add some small seating somewhere where it is more shady, maybe in one of the corners.