Forum home Garden design

Unused area of garden, what would you do with it?

Hello everyone,

Happy new year!

I'm after advice, again! We have an area of our garden which currently doesn't have a use. Most of the past year it was a soil heap! We are finally at a stage where we can make something of it and I'm stumped. It's in a shady area of the garden. I was thinking two or three red robins in large pots along the fence and then I'm not sure what else. 

If this was your garden, what would you put here? I will attach a pic of the space and of the garden in flower so you can see the style. We will probably round off the area so it's joined up to the end gravel area.

Thank you!

• jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 383
    do you want to grow flowers or vegetables?
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 383
    I like your red flowers in the white pots.  What are those?
  • batwood14batwood14 Posts: 191
    Nicely done garden! I would put a small fruit tree (apple/plim/cherry) there or a decent size shrub - Sambucas nigra (Black Elder Flower) Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple' (Smoke Bushor an Acer of some variety. This would screen off the shed to some extent but also provide a focal point.

Go for colour, interest or fruit - the choice is vast.
  • holt120 said:
    I like your red flowers in the white pots.  What are those?
    Flowers please.

I think you mean the rose? It's a basic red rose which I got from Tesco a couple of years ago. The others are geraniums. 😊
  • batwood14 said:
    Nicely done garden! I would put a small fruit tree (apple/plim/cherry) there or a decent size shrub - Sambucas nigra (Black Elder Flower) Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple' (Smoke Bushor an Acer of some variety. This would screen off the shed to some extent but also provide a focal point.

Go for colour, interest or fruit - the choice is vast.
    Thank you for the advice! An acer might be nice, provide some contrast to the standard cottage garden. Would love a proper tree as only have a holly but worried as it's a small garden with close neighbours. I don't want to screen the shed off completely as it is a bespoke one I had built as is supposed to be a feature, but something with a certain amount of see throughness (for want of a better term!) would be good. Will check out the other shrubs too! 
  • How about something like a Malus royal beauty? 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625
    You don’t say if it’s a sunny spot, but I’d put espalier apples along there, Pretty in spring and useful in autumn.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyface said:
    You don’t say if it’s a sunny spot, but I’d put espalier apples along there, Pretty in spring and useful in autumn.
    Sorry, good point! No, it's the shadiest part of the garden. Does get the morning sun but that's about it on the fence. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,065
    Many if not most clematis don't mind shade and often produce stronger coloured flowers when not in full sun.  Looks like you already have a nice obelisk for it to climb, too. :)  
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Many if not most clematis don't mind shade and often produce stronger coloured flowers when not in full sun.  Looks like you already have a nice obelisk for it to climb, too. :)  
    It's funny you say that, I don't have a single clematis at the moment (apart from the Montana my neighbours has growing on the fence) but my grandad used to breed them, I actually have a variety named after me. I was a little nervous of them. I'd like to think my grandad would be proud to see my garden now.