Forum home Problem solving

What would you plant here?

CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 402
What would you plant to fill in this gap at the front? Something tall.
Am also thinking of pyracantha to go in the void behind it - it's dry and dark - do you think it would grow?

• A pyracantha would grow there but they can grow quite large 2m to 2.50m  
    which looking at the photo would encroach on other shrubs within that area
    Some species of Euonymus would thrive in that area such as Emerald and Gold that would grow about 2 feet in height but would sprawl up shrubs if left to grow.
    This Euonymus are evergreen and a brightly coloured that would contrast well with other evergreen shrub within that area 
    But there are numerous shrubs that would work well in that aspect and other will hopefully provide alternative suggestions 
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 456
    can a witch hazel look good there?

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,015
    Possibly Fatsia japonica? 
  • CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 402
    Thanks all. I like all those suggestions and I might try the witch hazel and the fatsia. I can plant in the bit in the middle too.

I also like the idea of something clambering up through the shrubs and trees - something evergreen. Happy for it to be a thug as long as it doesn't damage what's already there.  I suppose I could go with ivy, but something flowering would be nice. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    How about the winter flowering clematis 'Freckles' - very pretty cream bell shaped flowers with reddish 'freckles' inside on the petals. It's in flower now. Ours tried to escape the 6 ft high trellis and made a bid for freedom up a nearby birch tree.  
  • CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 402
    I like that idea, thanks @Lizzie27 . Vigorous and pretty.