Forum home The potting shed

To sow or not to sow....

PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,624
It's that time of year when seed catalogues come dropping through the letter box and causing a little flutter in the heart. But this year I am in two minds. 2018 and 19 brought severe drought and high temperatures in my area. Almost all my annuals and many of my established perennials, too, drooped and died in the relentless heat. It's not the money or even the time, it's watching all those struggling babies failing day by day! What's the outlook for next summer? Is it worth the risk?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,551
    Its a dilemma,  I mainly grow annuals for my baskets and tubs so easily watered. Most of the garden is perennial and if you don’t pamper them will grow roots downward to find moisture.
    I do grow a few annuals for gap filling, but keep potting them on until they are big plants so can cope better.  One good water when they go in and they usually cope ok, I didn’t lose any in 2019 summer but did the one before. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,551
    Yes Philippa, it could p*ddle down the whole summer, it’s been know and not that long ago. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,624
    I'd love a cool damp summer! Thousands of us rush off to hotter climes for our holidays but I'm happier somewhere like the Lake District in  a bad year....
  • Posy said:
    I'd love a cool damp summer! Thousands of us rush off to hotter climes for our holidays but I'm happier somewhere like the Lake District in  a bad year....

Like the sunshine myself
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,624
    If you do hear of a property in this place, do please let me know, Philippa. Well, one property each, I mean.