Forum home Tools and techniques

Help and advice please?

I am currently using a Hayter Harrier 41 Auto drive and have owned this for several years.
my circumstances have now changed for me that I now need to store in a new shed but need to fold down the handles.
i get the principle of twisting the handle knobs but the handlebars will not release and fold!
Any tips on how I can release these please?
The knobs just keep turning and do not unscrew!
Any replies appreciated thank you 😊

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,949
    Try a squirt of WD40 (or similar) on the threads leave for a couple of min to soak in. Then unscrew the knobs while pulling gently sideways on the handle or using a large screwdriver to gently lever outwards. It sounds as though the knobs are just spinning on the thread not actually undoing. Repeat on the other side once you have these clear of the lower part of the handle then it should fold. You may have to pull in the dead mans handle as you fold - I do this on mine. 
    AB Still learning

• ColinAColinA Posts: 264
    You have as Allotment boy has said stripped threads or  another common fault was for the plastic knobs to spin on the knurled part of the nut without undoing it if that is the case the only way is to forces off the plastic and then cut off the bolts and fit new