Forum home Garden design

New house with an old garden

isi1657isi1657 Posts: 2
edited January 2020 in Garden design
Bought a house with a smaller garden in October last year as previous garden too much for me. Garden has a theme of repeat plants in the front, back and side beds like nerine and alstro maria clumps-all have dead centres and I assume I will need to split and rejuvenate, about 5 clematis, shrub rose bushes and lots of hydrangeas from large flowers down to a mini one. I will keep most the plants but cut them down in volume except the hydrangeas (apart from the mini ones)they take up too much valuable space and i don't like them. Looking for ideas on other climbers for along fences in back garden-south facing, also for side border which will get sun late afternoon I think. Can I grow any fruit trees in side border? Could i move one of the shrub roses (4ft high) successfully into a better site for my plans? Should say I'm on east coast side of Scottish Borders.
Garden definitely has its challenges

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,165
    *Bump* in the hope that someone can advise  :)
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,266
    edited January 2020
    Welcome to the forum @isi1657 .Not sure of your climate there so can only advise that I think you will struggle to grow any fruit trees in side border as probably not enough sunshine for success. Maybe raspberries or gooseberries might survive though. Your rose bush however will be fine if you dig it up and move it now while it's dormant (along as it is not frosty). I'd reduce the height/width to about 2ft first to make it easier to move. Good luck with your project.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,595
    I would ask the questions at one of your local nurseries.  They will have a better understanding of local conditions.
  • Thanks for replies. Was hoping for someone near my area for plant suggestions for climbers on fence. Lizzie27-i will hopefully move rose when im not ill. I will prune it back as suggested thank you. Ive tried rasps before and couldnt get along with them. Guess i will have a couple of blueberries in pots 😊