Forum home Problem solving

Greenhouse bubble wrap

Hi all,
 Can anyone tell me if it's worth bubble wrapping my greenhouse it's unseated and was wondering if it's worth going to the expence of doing it

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,780
    If you buy it all from eBay it won’t cost too much.
    you'll also need clips with washers, spacers and corner fittings. 
    Ebay have it all.  Large bubbles are better, 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50m-x-750mm-Large-Bubble-Wrap-Heavy-Duty-Packing-Giant-GreenHouse-Moving-Roll/163350823001?epid=26025441785&hash=item260877c059:g:7-0AAOSwKO5b3FCj
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,255
    Hi all,
     Can anyone tell me if it's worth bubble wrapping my greenhouse it's unseated and was wondering if it's worth going to the expence of doing it
    If you get it cheap enough, buy yourself a seat too.  :D
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,538
    Chuck a wanted post on freecycle and you should be able to get plenty of bubblewrap for free. I've never bothered wrapping mine but I don't keep especially tender plants. If you have plants that will struggle in the cold then give it a go but I've only really considered it worthwhile if you're heating it as it conserves energy and should save some money.
    Why would it create problem’s with mould, you can still open the window if you line it properly, it will last 3 or more years,  it has a better use in the summer for keeping sun off seedlings.

• If you intend to insulate your GH every winter, consider WHITE polystyrene sheets.  Cut and fixed carefully to fit, it can insulate against frost - removed and stored once the worst is over, it will last you for a good few years.
    I'll admit it can reduce the light levels somewhat but you can't have everything ;)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,875
    I bubble wrapped my greenhouse in our last garden because it came with it (bought second hand) and because we had very cold winters and I used my GH to store pots of fuchsias and so on over winter - Late October to mid April in that garden..   That bubble wrap was at least 15 years old when we sold the house.   If you wash it down and keep it stored out of the light it will last for years.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Mine disintegrated after a few years, I did leave it up in the summer though as that was when I most needed it, it’s a good insulator for both seasons. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,875
    I suspect strong summer sun would quickly ruin the plastic @Lyn.  I draped netting over the outside of my GH in summer if I needed to shade plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I would @Obelixx but it can be very windy here,  I’d have to fi it down very well.
    i made. Lovely butterfly net cage over greens one yer, thought I’d pinned it down well with tent pegs, flat the net day. 
    But you’re right , the sun is what ruins it,  it went to dust,  

• It's a unheated aliminium it's 4 x 2m and I was only wanting to get a head start with my seeds