Forum home Plants

Seed recommendations

WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 860
Hi all, so I'm getting very itchy green fingers and I'm looking to order seeds. This is my 1st year to have a go at raising much from seed and very excited (it's werid I used to love the pub then 2 years ago i fell for a long slim model yes my  garden). I want to cram my beds so as to convince weeds to stay away, (we have a very high weed burden including marestail and creeping buttercup which seem to be uncontrollable) we did achieve this in a bed last year.

So I'm after recommendations for perennial plants to grow from seed, I've got a list which in includes Eupatorium, Rudbeckia laciniata, Angelica Gigas and Castor oil plants (I know poisonous but it's headed into the back of my exotic area) oh and yes I know the last 2 aren't perennial but I do want them 

These are all tall I know but I do love the height, apart from the angelica I think all are relatively easy to get going. Anything that falls down the height scale and is easy to grow would be great. On colour we have hot beds of reds, yellows orange etc (apart from some misidentified cuttings that need moving this spring) other beds are white and blueish

Grasses are popular as well, all suggestions are gratefully accepted thanks all 

• Echinacea, Calendula, Tagetes, Sunflowers, Viola, all easy to grow (know from experience). Not all perennials but if they are beautiful I don't care :smile:
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,511
    Achillea, Leucanthemum, Aquilegia and lupins are all easy from seed, and some (Achillea in particular) will flower the first year...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 362
    Forget-me-nots and nigella  are both easy, and although they are annuals, they self-seed  quite happily 🙂
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 860
    Thanks all for recommendations order is done (not my only 1 I'm sure) can't wait to get going now