Forum home Wildlife gardening

Common Buzzard

I saw a Buzzard earlier today flying not far above roof top level, around and around as if it had spotted something, at one point I thought that it was going to land in the street behind my house but after a few more circuits it flew off towards the pine plantation which is about a mile away, a couple of doves flying low scarpered in the opposite direction and the mob of sparrows and finches which had been feeding in my next door neighbours overgrown brambles shot off into her conifers. Beautiful bird the buzzard I have seen them flying high before but the first time that I have seen one that close.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,149
    We used to have one which "lived" in the garden. I could ride the lawn mower within about 10m of him as he sat on a fence post watching me.
    Devon.
  • BeefleyBeefley SE DartmoorPosts: 43
    We are lucky and see them every day here (Dartmoor).  We have a big old oak tree in the garden and they often land in that, not more than 50ft or so from the house.  They are magnificent close up, and huge!  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,589
    They sit on the post here as well, I love the way they never venture out of their own bit of territory,  the rotten crows give them hell in the sky  I don’t know why they don’t attack them but they’re a very unobtrusive bird.
    I love to see them teaching their baby to fly and soar, talking to it all the way. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AWBAWB Posts: 421
    Here in north Essex buzzards and red kite now quite common
  • I love my pair of buzzards which reside on the hill at the bottom of my garden. I sit in my conservatory and watch their activities throughout the year, from courting, teaching the young ones to fly and hunt to chasing the youngsters away to find their own territories. They play on the thermals and the sound of their mewing is just like a small kitten calling for its mother. I have seen them lifting a rabbit from the field and the hysterical screams from the youngsters when they first begin flying is hilarious. I have lived here for 20 years and there has never been a year without "my buzzards" raising at least 2 youngsters. I know some farmers consider them vermin but for me they are a delight.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 9,521
    My picture from the summer at Knepp.

• Have just been watching my buzzards which have increased to 4 so presumably one of the offspring has managed to stay put and found some territory for itself. There was one hanging out around the local village green last year. There is an incoming storm forecast so possibly the 4 are staying close to home to hunt today.They have been flying very low which is unusual.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 9,521
  • My 4 are still flying low. Extremely windy last night, glorious this morning but more stormy weather due tonight/tomorrow. They are flying in pairs close together so the sap is rising for the breeding season. It will be very noisy if both pairs each raise 2 young. The crows, magpies and jackdaws will have even more to mob.
    Am off for a walk with the dog on Porth Luny in front of Caerhayes Castle this morning, hopefully it will be sheltered from the wind a bit. A demanding drive down, very narrow lane with a multitude of hairpin bends and usually lots of dopey pheasant wandering around on the road, reluctant to move out of the way. Tooting the horn does nothing to ruffle their feathers, they just look at the car and carry on wandering around in no particular direction.
    I dribble at the thought of pheasant pie for dinner!