Forum home Fruit & veg

Suitable Apple For South Wales

2»

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    josusa47 said:
    You might also like to check out Ian Sturrock of Bangor who supplies Welsh heritage varieties.

I've been meaning to get one of these for a while now.

I planted a Goose's Arse from Ian S., a one year maiden, planted in autumn and to my amazement it flowered in its first spring, and set 9 fruits.  That's more than my Egremont Russet managed in five years.  
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,609
    edited December 2019
    I had my first russet apple this year 5 years after planting it. I've got a Tom Putt though that destroyed itself under the weight of fruit this year. It was a strong tree but split into pieces as all the larger branches ripped away from the trunk.  :/   What's a goose's arse like for flavour btw?
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I had my first russet apple this year 5 years after planting it. I've got a Tom Putt though that destroyed itself under the weight of fruit this year. It was a strong tree but split into pieces as all the larger branches ripped away from the trunk.  :/   What's a goose's arse like for flavour btw?
    Haven't found out yet, it's still too young for cropping.  It's a cooker, and the supplier says that the name reflects the shape of the fruit not the flavour.