Forum home Plants

Moving Roses - Twice!

suffolk_blondesuffolk_blonde SouthendPosts: 52
Hi, unfortunately me elderly neighbour passed away last year and the new occupants of the house have no interest in Gardening, there are several roses bushes at the front the the house and the new occupants want to block pave the drive (which is another issue in itself) - I'm going to suggest to them that I could move the roses opposite the house over the road where there is a patch of disused land which has a lot of weeds - I've already used the land opposite of my house with a wild flower mix and tulips in the spring  - However as I have new born baby I don't have the time to clear the land for the roses, I do have another patch of land which is clear and I could move the roses there before spring and then move the roses next winter across the road. Aware this is not the best practice but is it feasible to do without killing the roses? 

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,015
    No problem at all.. just do it.... you wouldn't want to know how often I move roses.... watering in well after each move is essential... 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,985
    Yep, all sorts of plants in my garden probably get a bit dizzy being moved round and round. Lots of water before you dig them up and after you replant in the key.
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,166
    I have moved roses in the past with no problem,  l think as long as the ground isn't frozen, things should be fine. The forecast is generally mild for at least the next week, so I hope the new neighbours agree to let you do this !  
  • suffolk_blondesuffolk_blonde SouthendPosts: 52
    Can you move them any time of the year?
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,985
    I think it's usually better to move any plant while it's dormant - so for roses, now is good. When they are in full flower is the worst time. Your plan of a first move now and a second next winter seems fine.
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett