Forum home Plants

Erigeron Karvinskianus

The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481
Just a quick question. Last year I bought a number of Erigeron Karvinskianus plants which did very well in my garden. They are doing OK and (touch wood) seem to be surviving the winter. When spring arrives do I just leave them as they are or do they need cutting back?
Thanks
HH

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,135
    I'd leave them alone, they're very happy that way.
    Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,343
    edited December 2019
    Mine go through the winter mostly green but in the early spring, they die back. That's when I cut mine back - when they go brown and crispy, usually about March. I guess that may be because that's when we tend to get really cold weather here - late Feb/early March. By late April they are always green and thriving again
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,350
    I was wondering the same - one of mine has grown really big this year and is falling over a 3 high railway sleeper wall, nearly to the ground. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,071
    I do the same as @raisingirl, cut them back in Spring. They will look horrid then before the new growth starts.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,343
    Lizzie27 said:
    I was wondering the same - one of mine has grown really big this year and is falling over a 3 high railway sleeper wall, nearly to the ground. 
    Yeah, wait a while. It'll be pretty obvious when you can do it.
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,350
    Thanks @raisingirl.