Forum home Problem solving

Winter box

What's wrong with my sarcococca? I planted it last month, in a North facing bed with clay, compost and grit. I'm gutted!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,990
    I'm wondering whether iit's a bit tender because it'd been kept in a more sheltered spot than it is now in it's new home ... could that be frost damage?  If so it'll soon acclimatise and new growth will be able to cope much better. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,368
    I agree that could be frost damage.

Or could it be waterlogging if you've had anything like the volume of rain most people have had? A newly planted shrub in clay soil (albeit with added drainage) and a high volume of water could be a problem.

I know a lot of people recommend autumn planting for plants and shrubs but I never do autumn planting in my heavy clay soil. Plants just sit and sulk all winter in cold, wet soil and roots may rot. I don't do any planting from mid October to mid March.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,147
    Depending on how much grit you've added, you may have created a lovely sump where water will collect.
    Devon.
  • lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 331
    Right, ok. Thankyou for your replies. Should I dig it up and pot it?
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,368
    On this occasion, I think I would. You can then put the pot in a sheltered position in case it is frost damage and replant in spring when the soil has dried out a bit. By next winter it should be fine.

If, however, the roots are damaged it might be worth starting again with a new plant....
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down