Forum home Problem solving

Monkey Puzzle Tree

Our mature Monkey Puzzle tree has died unfortunately.  We have asked the councils permission to remove the tree and they have agreed but are insisting we replace it with another Monkey Puzzle in the same place.  I am wondering if this is a good idea to replace it as the new tree may well not last long.  I am also wondering if the extremely hot summers we have had could have killed the tree or maybe honey fungus but I cannot see any obvious evidence of honey fungus.  Advice please.

• Presumably the tree is within your garden and you are bound by local Conservation Area rules ?
    I would suggest you discuss the issue with the Council official responsible for trees and put your concerns to him/her.  Make sure that an official visits the site and gives knowledgeable reasons for and against.
  • I saw a programme the other day where they said that Monkey Puzzle trees were dying out in their native South America and that someone on a Scottish Island I think was planting thousands trees to ensure that the species didn't disappear.