Forum home Plants

The (Late, Bare) Rose Season 2019

13»

• I've just planted bareroot roses 4 x Pure Poetry and 4 x La Reine Victoria from Trevor White Roses and 4 x Diamond Wedding from Peter Beales. I am waiting on Sceptered Ilse to arrive for the next plot with one more lot to choose for the final plot. This will give me 20 highly scented roses in their newly constructed bed.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,876
    The perfume from all those should be amazing @batwood14.  
  • Thanks - that is plan  - I used to have 'whiter shade of pale' in my previous place so miss this aspect of having rose scent by the windows @Lizzie27
  • Is it necessary/desirable to strip retained foliage from the roses? I’m sure I’ve read something about that but can’t remember which way the advice was going.

My potted roses are completely defoliated anyway - blackspot got them in Autumn. 

Malvern Hills has lost most of its lower leaves, some blew off and the rest came off with very little effort in my hand while I was tidying up. Halfway upwards though is still very leafy - lovely shades of olive green and red (near the newer growth)

All of the others are practically in full leaf still with no sign of yellowing or weakening of the leaf stems. Especially ‘Rhapsody in Blue’ and ‘Ghislaine De Feligonde’ which look exactly the same as they did in summer (minus the flowers - although Rhapsody still has one flower) - The Generous Gardener is still very lush looking.

So should I remove the old leaves and if so when? I wasn’t expecting them to still be adding so much greenery to the garden! Seems a shame to get rid of it.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,499
    ...there is no need to do this really, not in our climate... it's been very mild where I am, no winter at all so far and some roses are evergreen right now, but surely we will get a cold spell between now and March... this should finish off most of the leaves without us doing anything....  when the new growth comes through in Spring you don't really want old leaves still on the bush harbouring diseases but most will normally have gone by then or can be pruned away ... some people like to scoop them up and dispose of them which is good practice but I don't bother myself...

...large roses like climbers and ramblers, well no one is going to defoliate those... just leave them get on with it..

...I know DA defoliate their roses as I speak to their head gardener on Instagram and he told me they do this, but they exhibit at Chelsea and need their roses to look the freshest... no diseased old leaves hanging on...

...some old fashioned types of roses, the ones that only flower once in June, demand a period of dormancy in winter to ensure a good flowering in June... they may not bloom well if they don't get it... but again for us here this is not usually a problem but manual defoliation helps this along if necessary, especially in places like Cornwall where it's exceptionally mild...

...so in short... enjoy the foliage on your roses for now and let nature take its course.... I would remove any flower buds that form though...
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,653
    I planted the last rose on 14th December (I think) and the last bulbs on 15th... late but better than never. And left for time off with my family. I think I won't do much in the next few weeks but then it will be seeds starting time, then pruning time and mulching time... and then spring and soon new growth on all new roses :)

Happy new year everyone.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 4,308
    And a happy new year from me too, everyone!

I do defoliate, @Mr. Vine Eye, but only because it’s been pretty mild here and most of my roses started to develop new foliage a while back. I haven’t defoliated Kew Gardens as it shed all it’s leaves in the hot summer and grew a full new set in Autumn, with not a sign of blackspot.  Shame it doesn’t bloom well for me, I’m trying to think of a cooler spot to see if that helps, but no lightbulb moment yet!

All my new TCL bare root roses, received mid December, are budding away and even a few of those are leafing up too. They are all good and healthy - Diamond Eyes has the most canes at nine, with the others averaging five. Here is ‘The Prince’, the least canes, but the most new growth:

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,876
    That looks good and healthy @Nollie, my much cheaper bare roots look nothing like that, probably to be expected. I saw the same advert yesterday for bareroots to be delivered next November!  I'm curious as to how they'll turn out, I'm just experimenting really.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,500
    edited January 2020
    Not bare root, but can I chip in?

I just bought this white rose, and I’d like to plant and bring together my other roses.

Whats a good distance of separation?

These are the three existing (two in containers) last summer:

Here is where I want to place them from left to right, white, pink, red.  There’s some bulbs in there now and it’s all a bit root filled.

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 4,308
    Hi @Tin pot, Please chip in away!

For the spacing, where you have placed your new rose looks maybe a bit close to the shrub behind but difficult to tell...  Spacing depends on the stated width of the rose but a clear circle about 60-90cm (2-3ft) diameter, free of the overhanging branches of anything nearby would suit most of them. The free circle could overhang the path a bit at the front, like the pink one in your photo. Maybe someone else knows that rose and might be able to give better advice...