Forum home Problem solving

next years vegetable seeds

Happy Christmas everyone.   Now the shortest day is approaching I am looking forward to the lighter days and thinking about what I will soon be sowing in January.    Maybe chilli seed indoors and onion seed in the unheated greenhouse.    What about you !!

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 4,714
    Browsing the beg seed catalogues is a Christmas treat for me, but I won’t be sowing anything just yet. Garlic around February and broad beans shortly thereafter. I never bother with autumn-sown broad beans as I always find the spring-sown ones catch them up and they all crop at the same time despite my best efforts!
  • I wouldn't sow anything like chilli seeds unless you have growlights, after Christmas if the temperature stays mild I may start some broad beans in cardboard tubes in the greenhouse and when I can get some shallot sets they will get a head start in the greenhouse too.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,126
    I've got all my seeds, but nothing will get planted for a while yet, Feb under lights I normally start onions, leeks and peppers.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 321
    I've got some chard and lettuce in trays in the greenhouse that I started in late autumn. I will likely start some beetroot off under lights in January as I love it and it takes a while to grow. 
  • Dobbies have seeds at 50% off.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    Broad beans sown about 2 months ago on the grounds that they then get the winter rains and any warm spells to grow and get ahead.   Doing well so far.  By early May last year we were in  drought and heatwave mode already.   I have some chilies to sow in the next few weeks and some garlic to plant out as soon as my knee allows and the soil is dry enough.  Far too wet at the mo.

I have Florence fennel to sow in plugs in the PT next month to see if it will grow to edible size before the next heatwave and cavolo nero which I can't buy here.  I shall buy tomato plantlets at the local spring plant fair and other brassicas and salads as plugs from the local suppliers.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw