Forum home Problem solving

oasis

I save and reuse oasis.  What is an eco-friendly alternative?  What should I do with unusable oasis? What should I do with the water used to hydrate it? I have tried chicken wire but experienced poor results. I have tried gravel in water but find it heavy to lift.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,324
    I don’t know, but I have a feeling that you are going ro tell me.......😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,155
    My wife received some cut flowers that came with a sort of pulped cardboard oasis. It came packed into a plastic pot but one that was recyclable. I'm not sure if this is a viable alternative in structural terms as an alternative though.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,016
    This site is interesting https://londonflowerschool.com/journal/the-world-before-floral-foam

I used to do a lot of 'amateur' flower arranging, picking up tips from an older cousin who trained with Constance Spry.  I still have several 'kanzan' .... IIRC we called them Florist's pin holders.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,365
    An appropriately shaped vase helps a lot.  I used to have a heavy metal disk with spikes that held stems but have no idea where it is now.  I have also been know to make a grid across the top of squat square vases using sellotape.   That's very good with dahlias on short stems which mine all were this year.  It would probably work for other heights and shapes too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • niwaki do a kenzan here : https://www.niwaki.com/store/home-kenzan/ - I've never tried one...
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,365
    Well, now I know I have a Kenzan lurking somewhere.  Never knew my spiky thingy had a name. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw