Forum home Problem solving

Dealing with road noise in potential new house and garden

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,326
    That's a shame @Lucid.
    I hope you find another, even better, property very soon  :)
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 1,909
    We lost a house on the day we were meant to sign the contracts. Here’s hoping you find another lovely home. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,326
    That must have been awful @Songbird-1. Same thing happened to one of our old neighbours when the chain collapsed. 
    I think l'm right in saying that it can't happen in the Scottish system,  but l'm not sure.
    @AnniD, it was devastating and we had two children under ten in tow at the time. We had to start all over again, much like the OP, to find a new house. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,274
    When it happened to us the buyers backed out on Christmas Eve ... we were supposed to be moving on New Year’s Eve ... the same people changed their minds yet again and bought the property at the same price at Easter. I found it very hard to forgive them for the hell they put us through. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,073
    on on the bright side any treasured plants could now be popped into pots so when you do find your dream home you can take them with you. 
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 801
    edited February 2020
    Enjoyed reading this.  Sorry it didn't work out.

We live next to a national speed limit road.  And it is horrible.  We knew that before moving, but much like many young people, it was our only option, as it was suitably discounted.  The area and garden is something special.   And in some ways you do get used to the noise.  Being a terrace the back is a little shielded.  Weather does change the sound of the road, and some days it bothers more than others. 

A saving grace is that the road is constantly moving at quite an efficient speed.  So it doesn't stink.  I absolutely hate not being able to open the front windows.  I like to live and sleep with the windows open.

What I would say, is that when our road hits about 40mph, it quietens down very much.  So a 30mph/40mph zone would probably bother me less.  I remember a friend living in central London above a traffic lighted junction, and it was 24hr noise and aggressive beeping - and it stank.  So each location is different.

That garden looked a great size.

Wood is a good baffler.  In that situation I'd consider a super-adobe or rammed earth wall.  If it were a wider garden you could snake it for strength and plant in the bends.  You'd just need a digger and unskilled labour, but the material cost would be low.

Noise pollution is very stressful/cancerous, and insidious.

My uncle lives on a main road, and as he is so deaf doesn't even notice the road!  So some things improve with age.

Others on my street moved here when the road wasn't as busy, and never imagined the volume of traffic on it.  For them it's relatively horrible.  Do factor in that a road could well get busier.

I'm personally looking forward to transporter beams.  But then, I'll probably live in the most remote area I can find!
  • LucidLucid Posts: 385
    edited February 2020
    Hi everyone thanks for your further replies and thoughts, and sorry to hear that there have been several of you in the same situation. It took me a couple of days to come to terms with it as it had never occured to me that things might fall apart. The buyers seemed so keen and the sellers knew how much we liked their house. At least it gave us a good lesson in not getting our hopes up too soon in the process.

At the moment we're still waiting for a buyer to come along for our place, although I don't know how long I want it to be up in the air for. However, I know that we do still want to move and I really want to try find somewhere that might be a bit quieter than we were going for, but hopefully with a large garden still. I know we won't get anywhere that will be quite the same plot size as we thought we were going to get, but I hope we can upgrade on our current garden at least. Although there are some places we've spotted that have trees backing on to the garden so I guess a smaller garden space would be fine if you had trees outside your boundary.

Lucid :)
    Don’t give up hope @Lucid, it will happen when it’s meant to. Things happen for a reason so perhaps there’s an even better home just waiting for you to find it😁
  • LucidLucid Posts: 385
    edited May 2020
    Hi everyone, I just thought I'd give you a quick update. It's not finalised just yet but we are very close to the exchange stage on the new property we found. It's quite different to the original place in that it's a bungalow and requires a lot of work on the inside and outside, but we actually think it's going to be in a better location than the previous place was. Technically it's not too far from a busy road - about 130m at the closest point - and we can actually hear this same road from our current house. However the new place is near a section of the road that has a large roundabout and traffic lights so bizarrely that part of the road sounds quieter from outside the bungalow than it does from our current house, where we can hear the fast section about 700m away. There is a lot of field area and trees between the road and the bungalow so I guess that really helps. We're going to be a little closer towards country living, although technically still in a town. But there's horse fields in front and fields behind us too. I've got a satellite view of it to show for now but won't show any of the actual photos until it's definitely ours. 

The garden is not as big as the previous place we were hoping to buy but it is an improvement on what we have now, and it's only overlooked by one neighbour in a house to the side - the other side is bungalows. We're hoping with a proper design we can screen off part of the garden too. It is very overgrown with shrubs and trees, and has a rickety shed and greenhouse at the bottom, so it's going to be a big project to analyse what we've got and what we want to get rid of, and then get the work done. We are also extending the bungalow in to the garden a little and a workshop will be built at the bottom.

It currently has conifer hedging down both sides of the garden, we believe it is planted on our land but we need to confirm that once we're actually there. The hope would be to replace that with mixed native hedging but it's still a little up in the air at the moment as we've not had a proper in depth look at what the boundary is like and what else is in the garden. Sadly we have no confirmation on the deeds or from the seller as to who is responsible for the boundaries on either side, so I'm also a little unsure of what the neighbours would think of the existing hedging going, as it'll take some time for the new hedging to grow. There's no fencing there which is perfect for the wildlife but I've also got to figure out what to do for our dog. I'm sure once we're actually in there, as long as nothing falls through, then I'll be posting for help and ideas though. We're really looking forward to the project and I'm hopeful that there's going to be an array of wildlife that can make it in to the garden.

Lucid :)