Forum home Problem solving

Dealing with road noise in potential new house and garden

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,326
    Personally l can't see any problem with politely enquiring what their plans are, l don't know if you can do this face to face or whether you'd need to go through the estate agent or solicitor .
    There can be problems if people view a property and agree a price, only to move in and find the garden has been stripped bare by the previous owners. 
    They may agree to the removal of the plants in the front garden if they're going to hard landscape it 😥, but people can be bloody minded. 
    As regards the pond,do you know if they have a young family?  That might make them more inclined to get rid of it if they don't want to go to the trouble of fencing it off.
    Normally l would have advised potting up anything you wanted to take with you, and making it clear to the agent that the plants would be going, but this situation is slightly different in that l assume if they were keen gardeners, it wouldn't be a problem.  I have been in this situation (albeit many years ago), so l do understand your dilemma. 
    You certainly have a lovely large plot to play with, and with hedgehogs 🦔 !  What's not to love ?
    I will be interested in other people's take on this.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,985
    Hi Lucid - that looks like an exciting project to take on. I hope the buying and selling goes smoothly.

Unless you know the purchasers of your property quite well I wouldn’t approach them directly yourself - but put everything through the estate agent or solicitor. However, estate agents and solicitors who don’t garden probably won’t ask the right questions in the right way.

So, I’d probably draft a really friendly and chatty letter to the purchasers saying that you’re very happy to leave your garden as is but, if they are planning major garden renovations, then you’d appreciate the opportunity to discuss whether you can remove some of the plants which are no longer required. I would put in a strong reassurance that you won’t remove anything without their express permission and the last thing you want to do is destroy or strip bare the garden they are buying. You could also say that you’re happy to wait until they are ready to start work in the garden so they’re not left for months with lots of holes.

Then I’d ask the solicitors / estate agents to check there’s nothing untoward in the letter and ask them to pass it on to the purchasers. I think the important thing is to keep this side of things light and friendly so you don’t put them off!
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,738
    edited January 2020
    @Lucid   Out of interest, do you know if the council have any plans for their nearby grounds?

I'm with @Hostafan1 on the dream of total silence.

@raisingirl It's the engine noise that slays me (not the wheel noise) - as others say, trail bikes zooming around at three in the morning and revving engines. It feels like a chainsaw. It must be something about the frequency of the sound - nails on a chalk board. But that's my personal bugbear.
  • LucidLucid Posts: 385
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to say that I was happy to leave the garden as is - although it does look very bare at the moment anyway - but it was just when I heard of the hard landscaping plan for the front I wondered if they might intend the same for the back and dig up all of the plants, and in that case I could perhaps save them if it was agreed. I might be worrying over nothing and they'll like the garden as it is - and I may never find out anyway. But it does seem worth an explore and although I had been planning to go via the estate agents anyway, I think Topbird's idea of a friendly letter through the estate agents seems a good way to go. I was just going to ask the estate agents to ask etc.

I've actually been filling out the Fixtures and Fittings form and I've left the plants blank for now. I'm just wondering what people would normally do with compost bins when moving? We have very large wooden bins which we weren't planning to take - wanted to make them better for next time. They are full of compost material. Does that count as waste that you're supposed to remove or can it be left in the bins? Should I highlight on the forms that there is compost material in there? My partner thinks that's a bit OTT but I don't want them to think we've left rubbish. Or if they don't want to keep beds and lawn then they might not appreciate the breaking down compost anyway.

@Liriodendron - we're going to go wildlife friendly again but this time try to plan much better in advance, which is one of the reasons I hadn't initially planned to take plants with me as didn't want them sitting in pots while we observe the garden and take time with design/plans etc. We definitely want a pond again and possibly some kind of mini stream. We've got sleepers to take with us so will be making some raised beds for vegetables somewhere. One of the first things I'll do is plant a native hedging mix along what I'm calling the South facing side (technically South West facing I guess). There are some trees and shrubs in the middle of the run but I'm thinking hedging either side of those. We're going to try to get to know the garden first before we try to do too much - we've learnt from the current one that trying to get everything done straight away can lead to mistakes. I will definitely want to make some hedgehog encouraging places though as we want them to continue to visit the garden.  

@AnniD - yes, if they're really opposed to anything being removed I'll go with it. There are some seedlings I can take, and I could try some cuttings anyway, so it wouldn't be a complete loss. They do have a family which is why I was worrying about the pond as I know the default reaction can be the safety aspect. I do have some plants in pots that have remained unplanted as the wet weather beat me to finishing my extended flowerbeds (before we decided to move). I was planning to finish off and plant those in the beds, despite moving, but will see what they come back with first.

@philippa smith2 - I'll see what they say but appreciate they may not realise what is even in the garden so may not want to ok it. I'm not even sure if they'd have stepped out there as it was raining on the day they came. I do have some lovely gardening neighbours but I'd probably just try to get anything I want to keep in to pots and just leave in our garden.

@Topbird - thanks very much for the idea of the friendly letter, I'll give it a try. I'll check in with the estate agents first and see what they think is appropriate. They would also have a better idea on how keen they were on the garden when they visited - and possibly the pond too.

@Fire - I don't think there are any plans for the little bit of land. Fortunately it's quite a small area and I'm not sure anything could sensibly be built there.

Thanks for the input so far everyone, Lucid :)

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 4,045
    Why not just make a list of exclusions of all the fixed garden items (like specific plants in the ground you want to dig up and take with you, a pergola or expensive obelisk you want to keep etc) and simply leave out anything you do not want? It’s then up to them to object if they disagree and for both parties to negotiate...
    edited January 2020
    @Nollie - it's only where I've seen that you're supposed to have it as sold as seen when there's viewings. (EDIT - or you ask the estate agents not to list the features you want to keep). I hadn't minded the idea of leaving all of the plants as they are but it was only when I heard about them hardlandscaping the front garden I wondered if they would do similar in the back. I don't want to say I'm taking things if they were really keen on them. I think I'll try the friendly letter approach and see if they have any thoughts. 

Lucid :)
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,573
    Our new next door neighbours told the sellers that they were going to completely flatten the garden (which they did) so would they like to dig up everything before they moved out (which they did as much as was feasible). They nearly needed an extra removal van just for the plants. I was also told I could dig anything up that they left but unfortunately it proved impossible to dig up any the beautiful hellebores I would have loved.
    Hi everyone, sadly we lost our buyers today and subsequently lost the house we wanted as the sellers didn't want to wait for us and then promptly sold it again. Thanks for all of your advice, I really appreciated the input.

Lucid :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,274
    Oh what a shame ... but I’m sure the right place will come along and it’ll all work out just fine ...all in good time 🤗 ☕️ 

it’s happened to me a couple of times ... once just a week before the moving date 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,295
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Moving house is a nightmare. Good luck - better luck - next time.