Forum home Wildlife gardening

Blue Tits Visiting

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,787
I have just seen two blue tits inspecting one of my two nest boxes.

? Is this the "Normal " time for them to be viewing properties.
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,523
    It's not uncommon for them to start scoping nest sites early but they also use boxes for roosting in winter and they hunt in them for over wintering bugs. If nesting sites are hard to come by they can start staking a claim early even if there's no chance of them nesting until April/May. They rely on the caterpillar hatch to time their egg laying so they won't start early.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,066
    Hubby saw one visiting one of our boxes earlier today too. 
    Devon.
  • FoxiesFoxies Posts: 60
    I've just put my nestboxes backup - two are being investigated as I write ... 
    wow, now THAT'S colourful.
    Devon.
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 553
    edited December 2019
    They almost look like parrots with all the colors.  The one I saw had some purple on their backs, too.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the first one.  They were "new" birds to me last year.  I've seen one 3 times since.  Hope they return this Spring.
    My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/
    almost like a child has been given the outline of a bird and told to "colour it in" . Lovely
    Devon.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,133
    That's a great photo, @PeggyTX! Congratulations.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 553
    Oh, PapiJo, I can't take credit for that photo.  I never seem have my camera in hand when I see birds down at the cabin.  This was a Google stock photo.  I've hooked a strap onto my camera for neck wearing, so I can perhaps get more candid photos of the pretty wildflowers and birds down there in future.  :)
    My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/
  • PeggyTX said:
    What pretty little birds.  I had to Google to see what they look like.  I don't think we have those in the U.S.  Wish we did though.
    But we have a strong competitor in the color department, the Painted Bunting (which I don't think you all have in the UK).  Aren't they pretty? I have seen these several times on our rural cabin property.  I hear they have very fussy requirements for nesting boxes, so I don't know if I can get my husband to build me some down there or not.  He's not real "handy" with woodworking.   

that's amazing :)