Forum home The potting shed

Christmas trees and decorations 2019

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,146
    Obelixx said:
    @Nollie there is a Jeff de Bruges and a Leonidas here in Les Sables d'Olonne and a Leonidas in La Roche.  However, the price of Leonidas is extortionate compared to that in Belgium.  Fortunately, I've found a good artisan chocolate maker here and I do my own truffles.
    Jeff de Bruges and  Leonidas are very industrial, low quality chocs. There are lots of much better artisan chocolate makers in most French towns, but their products can be quite expensive . You get what you pay for.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,463
    Lovely @pitter-patter , thanks for adding your Christmas photos  :)
    I hope your move goes smoothly,  and you are very happy in your new home (and garden) .
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,660
    @Papi Jo - In Belgium I liked the hand-made chocs and Easter eggs from the village baker/patissier who also made the best croissants and pains au chocolat I have had anywhere and the most wonderful pain forestier - really dark and full of grains and seeds - as well as seriously good cramique and craquelin brioche based breads which I'd use for bread and butter pudding.......

Haven't found anything that comes close here yet except for a chocolate maker at Les Sables d'Olonne and they're definitely not for every day.

Good luck with the new home and garden @pitter-patter
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I can't find your tree @Obelixx it would be lovely to see it. My photo didn't work out with lots of Zig Zag lighting. I think I need a new camera but I have loved seeing everyones tree who has participated.
    SW Scotland
    Oops.  Not a good photo of mine either as flash is not working.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    It's lovely x
    SW Scotland
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,167
    Gorgeous trees and decorations everyone. I especially like @chicky 's tree. I didn't see this thread earlier, busy with family, meals etc.

Here is my tree and my wreath. The lights didn't come out at all well so had to take the photo in daylight without lights.

And here is the first course I made for Christmas lunch at my daughter's. It's salmon.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,190
    Posted mine to the wrong thread a few days ago so adding here. :)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    No tinsel here.  Asking for trouble with 2 cats and even the dogs get silly with that kind of thing.  As it is, one dog and one cat both drink from the tree water!

I do like your wreath @Busy-Lizzie.  Will have to have a go at making one next year.

I did make 2 new Xmas patchworks tho - disappearing shoofly with Xmas fabrics

and a Dresden plate using Xmas batiks

and a fabric tree for the snowmen

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,121
    Papi Jo said:
    Jeff de Bruges and  Leonidas are very industrial, low quality chocs. There are lots of much better artisan chocolate makers in most French towns, but their products can be quite expensive . You get what you pay for.
    All a matter of availability, PJ. If you have ever tasted Spanish ‘chocolate’ you wouldn’t be calling Jeff de B low quality :D  I stick to the 70% dark chocolate ones, which I would call middling quality. Artisan du Chocolat are better, but we don’t get to go to Chelsea often. If you know of a good chocolatier in Perpignan would love to hear of it. OH’s chocolate fondants, otoh, are simply the best... and as for her billionaire’s chocolate ganache and salted caramel shortbread... the most sublime chocolate treat I have ever tasted. Salivating now!