Wooden greenhouse

I posted last year about Gabriel Ashe greenhouse prices and when I heard back from them I decided £3,500 was over my budget. Is anyone on here able to recommend  a 6 by 8 ft good quality wooden green house?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,100
    I would suggest Woodpecker greenhouses,  but lovely as they are, l think they are in the same price range. 
    https://www.woodpecker-joinery.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8bGzo5K15gIVCrDtCh368APEEAAYASAAEgLFAvD_BwE
    This may be of some help
    https://www.greenhousestores.co.uk/Wooden-Greenhouses/
    (I have no connection to either company).
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,541
    Any special reason for being fixated on wood?   It needs maintenance to keep it in good nick and looking good.

I think, at that size, I'd go for a Rhino - good quality by all accounts and a 25 year guarantee.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,836
    I've had my Rhino for 4 years now and am very pleased with it.
    No maintenance needed other than a general light scrub at the end of the season and it looks like new again.
    Being all aluminium it's also more hygienic than wood
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 794
    Wood can be a warmer glasshouse, but deteriorate over time mine is 1982 vintage red cedar, and past its sell by date, lots of water dripplets in the rain, difficult to renew putty.
  • Thanks
  • I'm not sure I agree that aluminium is more hygienic than wood. In the 90s there was a movement in restaurant kitchens away from wooden chopping blocks in favour of plastic. Incidences of food poisoning increased. It was later proven that wood had better antibacterial qualities and restaurants moved back to wood.
    They're no cheaper but cultivar greenhouses here do a good one in Accoya which will last longer than cedar. You might be able to pick up an ex show model cheaper if you are happy to wait and can get to one of the Spring garden shows. The same goes for rhino or gabriel ash who are usually at the same shows. 
  • I purchased a second, perhaps 3rd or 4th hand Halls cedarwood 10x8 GH.  I paid the chap £100 for it including some odds and sods and a water butt.  I have found it to be great value.  The year was 1984.  Much of my GH growing is of a scientific experimental type.  Yes I have replaced the roof glass with twinwall polycarbonate sheets.  I did instal  a heating sytem.  Butane gas.  This proved to be very expensive.  Then over time, monortoring winter temperatutures I noted that perhaps my siting of the GH and my internal bubbleplastic insulation.  The internal temp, never went too low..  So I gave up the gas heating and resorted to, at times, adding a litle more closer frost protection.  A simple layer of newspaper over plants, perhaps a bit of net curtain here and there.  Dividing the GH into sections using fleece and the like.  It all came together.  Now and then, depending now so much upon my health condition.  I might give the timberwork a rub down and a coat of wood preservative.  Now many years later.  My Halls cedarwood GH is still ROT free and serving me well.
  • Thanks it sounds like you have had very good service from your greenhouse over the years. I do prefer the look ofxa wooden greenhouse and the Gabriel Ashe one I had at my last home served me well.
  • I'm looking to buy a greenhouse next year and think I prefer a wooden one as it will fit better in my garden. I like the ones that have panelling at the bottom. There seem to be two types, Cedar and other wood. Would anyone have any suggestions on which is best? For instance Woodpecker and Alton are cedar but Swallow use another type of wood. Any advice? 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,100
    edited December 2019
    @Lottolearn My greenhouse is made of cedar and is 32 years old - it's survived being dismantled for a house move and being jacked up to realign it after mild subsidence. 
    It gets treated with preservative at least every other year, but l try and do that every year if l can.