Forum home Problem solving

Dilemma! Cut this tree root or cut the Everedge?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 4,057
Ok, so I am currently installing Everedge between a new border and the grass, incorporating a large 4m diameter circle around a mature olive tree. I am very tempted to sever this inconvenient root, as cutting everedge is a b*stard, not recommended by the manufacturer and would spoil the run. If I had to cut the everedge a cut-out around the root rather than right through would be better, but very tricky to do.

Here’s a photo of the root (approx 2cm dia), nearly 2m from the tree. My question is, would the tree survive the severing of this root? Would it destabilise it? Help, your opinions please!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,629
    2m away? I'm sure there are plenty more, I'd cut
    Devon.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,985
    edited December 2019
    About 3 years ago we had slabs relaid which had been lifted by roots from a neighbours trees. The landscaper just sawed straight through them and lifted them out. Some of those roots were much bigger than yours. 

The trees (unfortunately) seem to be none the worse for the experience.

They're the birch trees about 3m from our house which shed seeds, leaves, twigs and other debris into the house whenever we leave the back door or bathroom window open. I would not have been upset if they had (unexpectedly 😉🤭) died.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,241
    I agree there will be many more roots.
    AB Still learning

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 4,057
    That’s encouraging me in my planned butchery, thanks! Olive trees are shallow-rooted, but not sure if that is an advantage or not. It’s a pretty hefty tree, OH would kill me if I killed it, which is what is making me hesitate...
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,629
    how much of the circle have you already done?
    If this is the only root in the whole 2m radius, I'd certainly not worry, if you've just started clearing and found it, maybe clear the whole circle then decide.
    Devon.
    I have done 3/4 so far and this is the first obstacle. I think this root is extremely near the surface because it was probably avoiding the large rocks I keep digging out. Yes, perhaps I should first push on and see what the final 1/4 is like @Hostafan1 that’s very sensible advice.

The tree has been pollarded at some point in the past, has a fat stubby trunk of around 70cm girth and about 2m high, then another 2m of fairly wispy branches.

It would be nice to live to see another year, @philippa smith2  :D 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,241
    edited December 2019
    Could you try undermining the root and pushing it deeper? It may not be possible but worth a try.
    AB Still learning

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,581
    @ Nollie,  I'd cut it out and not worry.  Trees can take losing a couple of roots, no problem. We had it done when building a new garage and again when the digger accidentally hit a newish ornamental tree. Both okay 6 years later and thriving. Cutting thro the Everedge would be more of a pain as it would never look right again.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,712
    One root - I would already have cut it without asking for advice. :D
    Well following a bit more digging to complete the circle this morning, this is the only root in the way, there are a couple of other fat roots that go deep enough I don’t need  to disturb to complete the Everedge, so yes, I am going to chop it! 

Thanks for your advice and encouragement to wield the loppers all.