Forum home The potting shed

Unknown fish in pond

2»

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    edited December 2019
    goldfish, they start brown and turn gold once they reach a certain sizes
  • Dovefromabove Yes indeed, I was more commenting on the mention of sticklebacks in the previous post.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,655
    @barry island  👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,657
    Eggs do get transferred on birds feet and also on plants if you put any in, but I'd agree, those fish must have been on steroids if they've arrived as eggs and the pond is 'quite new'. I think it's highly unlikely that they've been dropped by birds, as there would be damage of some kind. Unless they are damaged and we can't see it. 
    I wonder if @wild edgesis correct and someone has dumped them. It may be someone who has recently moved into a house with an existing pond that had fish, and they have young children. People nowadays are often paranoid about that. 

@Hostafan1- or Bob and Trevor ... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I found this thread very interesting,as we had a cat some years ago who actually stole fish from another nearby pond and deposited them in ours. We wouldnt have believed it if we hadnt seen her do it.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,655
    I found this thread very interesting,as we had a cat some years ago who actually stole fish from another nearby pond and deposited them in ours. We wouldnt have believed it if we hadnt seen her do it.
    Hoarding :lol:
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,267
    That's a goldfish in it's natural colouration. They will eventually revert back from the hybridised 'orange', rather like plants do. The weird tail is also a product of selective breeding. Though how they came to be in your pond is not so clear, I'd go with the dumped theory as that fish is too large to have been spawn this year.