Forum home The potting shed

Unknown fish in pond

Dear garden lovers,

Who can help me to indentify fish? Two unknown fish have been swimming in our pond for some time. The pond is quite new and we have not put any fish in it ourselves. The largest fish has a special tail with a vertical and a horizontal section (like an aeroplane). The smallest fish looks like a normal adult goldfish but then black/grey but unfortunately I have not been able to take a photo.

(For the photo I have temporary put the largest fish in a plastic container.)

I would like to know which fish these are so that I can give them the correct care.

Thanks for contributing ideas.

Sincerely,

Loes

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,076
    I think the bottom one looks like a carp. Are there any ponds or rivers in your area? Could a bird who'd been fishing have dropped them?
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,397
    No expert, but 2nd. one looks like a Bream.
    Too many hands in too many pockets
    Not enough hands on hearts
    Too many ready to call it a day
    Before the day starts
  • I would say some kind of fancy goldfish a bit of a puzzle as to where they came from it must be three or four years old by the look of it.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,117
    Goldfish are carp so that's why it looks vaguely like a carp.  It's actually what would generally be described as a 'fancy' goldfish.  Both fish will have been taken from another pond in the area by birds and were fortunate enough to have been dropped and landed in your pond.  The second fish sounds like a young goldfish as they start off very dark in colour and become more orange as they mature.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,200
    KT53 said:
    Both fish will have been taken from another pond in the area by birds
    Or blokes. I'd bet a shiny penny that someone dumped their aquarium fish in your pond.

• It would seem more feasible.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,143
    Welcome to the Forum
    "Who can help me to indentify fish? Two unknown fish have been swimming in our pond for some time. "

I think it's Bob and Mable. 
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,117
    It would seem more feasible.
    We had sticklebacks appear in our pond.  No other ponds or stream anywhere near, so the only realistic way they could have got there is from bird carry.
  • That's how fish can move from pond or river to new pond but I suspect rather than a bird dropping a fully formed fish it is more likely that a bird could transfer fish eggs on it's legs, I'm not saying it's an impossibility that a bird could have dropped two fish into a pond but it does seem unlikely.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,187
    That was my initial thought @barry island ... but if it's a new pond that first fish has certainly had a growth spurt ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh