Forum home Problem solving

Crassula Rupestris

Hi, My Crassula Rupestris' lower leaves are dying. I have moved it to a lighter spot but not direct sunlight and started to water well then leave to dry out. Does any one have any ideas what the problem could be. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,540
    I think it's a combination of lack of light and watering.  I've always understood they need full light or sun and like to dry out between waterings.

Have a read of this and see if it helps - https://plantcaretoday.com/crassula-rupestris.html  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,631
    The problem with succulents in the autumn is that the reduced light levels trigger them into their winter rest period when they're usually subject to cool and dry conditions (unless they're a type that gets dry summers and wet winters in the wild). If they're not getting enough light they get rid of excess leaves because it takes too much energy to keep them through the winter. They absorb the energy from the leaves to help with making flowers too. Succulent owners often see their plants starting to look bad in the autumn and think they're drying out so they water them more often just as the plant is trying to do dormant. It's really hard to tell what the plant is suffering from though so don't feel bad. I'm not really watering my rupestre at all at the moment and they're all happy and flowering. One is in a cold greenhouse and the other is in a west facing window but both get as much light as possible. Did you feed the plant at all this year? It may be lack of light and a lack of nutrients making it recycle the leaves.