Forum home Problem solving

Building compost bins from pallets

2»

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,378
    We use a lot of torn up cardboard in our bin. I (or more precisely the gardener) tears it into pieces the size of a small plate and mixes it in with the grass clippings. I normally take off the plasticised parcel tape.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,698
    Yes, @BenCotto - it would have been easier in my grandad's day, when parcel tape was made of gummed brown paper... I can still remember what the glue tasted like...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,272
    I reckon after moving house, you'll have lots of cardboard boxes. ;)
    Devon.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,492
    I agree completely use the pallets as they are, we all use them on our Allotments  & we have even made some "big bays" for communal composting with them. We used metal posts hammered in the corners to keep them upright and used landscape fabric to line them. Work a treat.
    AB Still learning

You're right, @Hostafan1... 
    Thanks for the support, @Allotment Boy.  The only decision I have to make now, is where to build it.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Use pallets as are. 
    I drove 50x50 stakes in the front row and nailed pallets to stakes for increased strength and stability.
    Lined with old cushionfloor fixed with galv clout nails.
    Front 'gates' are simply tied closed with string to galv staples nailed top & bottom.
    Work a treat.

Just another day at the plant...
    Thanks, @owd potter.  Interesting that everyone's bins seem to work, lined or not... I'm less worried about exactly how to construct them now.   :)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,272
    Thanks, @owd potter.  Interesting that everyone's bins seem to work, lined or not... I'm less worried about exactly how to construct them now.   :)
    Stuff wants to rot down, the fine details of construction just vary the speed of the process, but it'll all rot down eventually even if it's just in a pile. 
    Devon.
    Yes indeed, @Hostafan1 .  The enormous heap of grass cuttings I bunged behind a bush in November has shrunk to a small pile without any input from me... 

Found a dead rat in the garden this afternoon.  I can see I'll have to make the bins as inhospitable as possible.