Forum home Problem solving

Cats !!!

WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 954
So am I the only person who loses it with cats !!! We never had a problem till new neighbours moved in with 2 cats, they have somehow brought all the local moggies into our garden. We regularly have up to 8 cats stalking around and using our garden as a giant toilet !!! They are also decimating the bird population, it's drives me nuts !!! (if people let  dogs roam like this there'd be uproar) today I went out to my greenhouse which is full of seedlings and cuttings I had left the door about 4inch open for ventilation but 2 cats had got in and had a proper fight leaving the greenhouse like a warzone. Other than a shotgun does anyone have a decent deterrent for cats !!! The garden is over a 100mt long and 70mt wide so I know it's a tough thing to do 

HELP 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,629
    the overwhelming majority  ( but not all ) cat owners are too selfish and don't give a toss about the problems you describe and the rest of us feel as you do. 
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,540
    You need a water scarecrow.  It is a device attached to a hose-pipe and with a sensor that sets off a jet of water when activated by a passing cat, fox, heron.   You need to move the senosr about regularly so they don't learn the trigger points.  It is harmless and effective.

Given the size of your garden you may need 2 or 3 and you should think about a mesh screen for your greenhouse door as cats will probably not be the only unwanted visitors.

Use the search function on here and you'll find lots of threads about cat probles.  You are not alone.    I garden with two cats and two dogs and have no problems but I can see that someone else's cats could be a bother.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    My neighbour has 5!  And another neighbour feeds wild cats.  It is a nightmare....  so sympathy, but I have no good ideas as nothing has worked for us.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,311
    The water-scarers do work. I used one to keep a heron from eating my fish.
    But they do need to be connected to the water supply which at this time of year could be problematical if temps cause water to freeze, which I imagine would also bust the scarer. In a garden your size you'd need quite a few of them too!

Other than that, you could do as I've done and get a dog.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Oh, I almost forgot , that's another £1 for me. 
    Devon.
    When it's too cold for a hose-pipe to be out you need constant vigilance and a good water pistol - or a dog.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    The scarecrows are the only thing that works, but at the first hint of frost/ice they need detached.
    That's the problem with them over winter, and of course, the birds are in even more at that time, so it does become difficult. I can't use one from about mid/end October until April or so. I've attached wire on long vine eyes at an angle [outwards] on the fence, which has helped, but that isn't always possible. Chicken wire can help too.

Been there, done it. Fed up doing it....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

It's on the bus of course @philippa smith2
    Hostafan1 said:
     :D Have you been offering your ever increasing Cat Fund to help finance Mr. Johnson's promised spending spree ?  He didn't seem to be able to explain where else the money was coming from  ;)
    BoJochio doesn't even seem to know how many children he has never mind where the money is coming from.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,312
    Hostafan1 said:
    Hostafan1 said:
     :D Have you been offering your ever increasing Cat Fund to help finance Mr. Johnson's promised spending spree ?  He didn't seem to be able to explain where else the money was coming from  ;)
    BoJochio doesn't even seem to know how many children he has never mind where the money is coming from.
    He probably doesn’t know where they come from either ... he’s completely detached from reality  🤪
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh