Bulb fennel

A friend has asked for the best variety.  I've never grown it so wondered whether anyone could recommend ?
Thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205
    edited 4 December
    Florence fennel.   Needs a fairly rich soil and plenty of moisture but not as thirsty as celery.

I used to buy it as un-named plug plants in Belgium and it always did well.  Fabulaous flavour compared to shops and juicier too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks Obelixx - yes, I should have said Florence fennel - presume there isn't a particular variety then ?  Always difficult asking on behalf of someone else when I don't have any experience of the plant in question.
    I only grow the leafy type.
    There may well be but I'm not convinced it makes a difference.   I took to growing the anonymous plugs because I was then one step ahead of slugs eating seedlings and OH hoeing them before they had a chance to grow!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks again Obelixx - I'll pass that on and then it's up to my friend to enquire further if she feels it necessary.
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 83
    I tried Florence Fennel last year for the first time with mixed results. I planted late in the season so that may be why. I got lots of healthy greenery but the bulbs didn't get overly big - barely big enough to use really.
    It's always grown very well for me - warmth and moisture and good soil - but I could never get new plugs from the garden shops after early July so it was nearly always planted out from mid May to mid July.