Salvia Patens

Hello, 

I've dug these up and potted them on. Going to put them in a frost free shed. Do you think they will survive? 

Thanks

Fred

• Fred MeadFred Mead Posts: 74

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058
    They sometimes survive in my garden over winter so I should think they'll be OK. But if they still have leaves they'll need light
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,629
    They are easy from seed...
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    Treat them like dahlia tubers. So long as they are packed in dryish compost over winter, they will survive.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Ok, thanks for all your advice. 
    The reason I'm over wintering them, is someone said they will be better the second year???
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058
    Fred Mead said:
    The reason I'm over wintering them, is someone said they will be better the second year???
    Maybe so if they're inside. In the garden I find I get flowers quicker from seed
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,652
    They don't survive outside in very cold areas or in very wet soil, which is why many of us dig them up. Last year I potted mine up and kept them in light, dry, conditions in my unheated greenhouse. All but one survived and yes, they flower much more prolifically because they are bigger, more established plants.
    Thank you.