Forum home Problem solving

problem area

2»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,226
    If you cut off each branch as low as possible to the trunk it will stay stable.  One branch at a time will fit thru a gate if you can.  No fancy equipment needed, just a pruning saw and some elbow grease.  If you  haven't a car to take it to the dump, ask the council for a sepcial green collection. 

A good tree surgeon will have maunal or power saws and a harness system for getting up high if needed and that too will fit thru a gate if you can.   They can then either take the waste away or chip it for you on site - all things which can be part of the quote, or not, as you choose.

When we had two sick ash trees felled we got chappy to cut the trunks into chunks and leave them on site for us.  Ditto the branches which OH is slowly chipping for mulch and compost because we have a machine and the space and also wanted free kindling.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • That sounds sensible and a bit more manageable but will have to get someone in. I have had to saw up some branches that have broken and fallen during storms so know what I can personally do with my little saw! 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,226
    edited December 2019
    A proper pruning saw is best.   Wolf tools do one in their multi-headed tool system and the saw can then be fitted to a short, medium or long handle depending on how high or far you need to reach.

https://www.worldofwolf.co.uk/categories/multi-change-tools/product/wolf-garten-multi-change-professional-pruning-saw/PC370MSPRO~PC370MSPRO

Their double edged push-me-pull-you hoe head is brilliant and you can get rakes and all sorts of hoe and cultivator heads in different sizes.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I have a pruning saw and garden saw both being well used. The difficulty is that the tree limbs grow next to one another so the diameter you are  cutting is very wide. However you have all made me want to attack it again..when I have time!
  • Thanks.  Will look at the websites. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,893
    We've found an axe is very useful as well, as long as it's not a very tall upright you're attacking. You do need to give it some welly though!