Forum home Plants

Corncockle in full flower 3/12/19 central southend on sea

124»

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,389
    I’ve got a big patch of those wild mauve/pink ones, very small flower but they’re been here for 30+ years and still come up the same colour. 
    Here’s the yellow one

I think this Aconitum is one of the best for bees,  apart from the giant Echium, don’t suppose it’s a natural.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• The Aquilegia is definately a variety of Canadensis ie the Canadian one , i've not grown Monkshood and know next to nothing about it but whatever it is it's sure is a pretty thing .
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,677
    edited December 2019
    I had that creamy monkshood in my Belgian garden but haven't seen one here.   Haven't seen blue either come to that but, thanks to @Lyn, I have seeds.

I find the Magpie/Guinness colour form of aquilegia fairly stable but every other one I've ever had reverts to that mauvy pink.   I just take them out or else move them to a corner where it doesn't matter as the pollinators enjoy them.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253
    I love aquilegias, such graceful plants. I have a pack of McKana giants to sow in January.