Forum home Plants

Corncockle in full flower 3/12/19 central southend on sea

• Fishy65 said:
    Thank you Lyn for bringing this thread to my attention. Gary, that is my kind of garden!! I love it. Loads of gorgeous plants and it just goes to show you don't need exotic aliens to create a beautiful scene. Not that I don't have some non-natives, cosmos and nasturtiums are regulars in my tubs. 

I see you have red valerian Gary. I've got the common variety though I don't think they're actually related? In fact I've got a surplus of young valerian plants in the greenhouse that need homes. Mullein I have but the dark mullein (verbascum nigrum). Viper's Bugloss a great plant too. Oh yes and geum rivale are lovely aren't they, they've produced hybrids in my garden with geum urbanum. Wild Carrot I first grew this year and was loved by hoverflies. 

Wonderful pictures  :)
    The Valerian appeared out of nowhere in the meadows early days , I never sowed any seed so i'm guessing it sneaked in with some other seeds , it does well and spreads around and because it's not truly native I keep it mostly under control.Wild Carrot would take over completely if I let it as would fox and cubs and Ribwort Plantain . I do have many non natives in the main garden in fact the vast majority are but there's something about our native species and their wonderful common names that touches me inside .

• I forgot to mention or perhaps brag that in late June early July this summer just gone I had 33 native species in flower at the same time but that includes 2 native water plants and lowly things such as common Daisies Clover and Ivy leaved Toadflax .
  • Common pink Valerian grows out of many of the walls here, you see it everywhere, it must be wind blown.  I do like it - there was some growing in our garden walls  home where I grew up.
  • I've not come across it locally although I would'nt be surprised if it is out there , i'm always on the lookout for rarities or just things that I cannot recognise , last summer at the semi rewilded old Garrison at Shoeburyness I came across a solitary Nottingham Catchfly growing out of one of Colonel Shrapnels old Ammunition bunkers , the Nottingham is almost extinct everywhere so when I brought it to the attention of the ranger there he did'nt even know what it was , it's my only claim to fame albeit only a little .
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,917
    It grows out of the walls here too but even more so in Cornwall.
    that Nottingham Silene is different, did you get some seeds when the ranger wasn’t looking he didn’t seem to have much  idea.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• No Lyn it had only just started to flower and I would'nt take seeds from such a rare plant that is located within what is basically a nature reserve anyway .I've not had an opportunity to revisit the site yet but i'm hoping they kept it well protected and then spread it's seeds about the old ammunition bunkers and gun emplacements that are one of the features of the site
    I wouldn’t  just take seeds either, Gary,  but I have got a lovely tall yellow Aquilegia that the seeds just dropped into my hand/ pocket from the Eden  Project,   I think they’d be pleased to share though.  

• I used to have gorgeous orange and Yellow Aquilegia that lasted about 4 years and despite repeated attempts to get more plants from seed it never would give them to me as I only got off whites mauves and purples from it , strange things Aquilegias they must have a wayward Gene .
    I think, although I’m not entirely sure, that Aquilegias were originally yellow in the wild form, probably why they stay yellow. 

• The British wild Columbine is various shades of Purple, it's the Canadian one that bears red and yellow but they are so promiscuous that these days you are likely to find many colours growing out in the wild , with mauvish pinks being fairly common .