The NHS

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,013
    @BenCotto. I could match your list and probably beat it. 
    Seems it may be the hospital you are sent to, although I’m not sure of that, the things that happened to my cousins daughter, that was Norfolk, could have been Peterborough.
    Another in Wales and my son in Plymouth.
    a friend had a colonoscopy, they punctured her bowel and she had to have a bag.
    I could go on.
    If my sons illness fares up again, I will pay for the private doc as I did last time. 

I suppose they are very good with most people, it’s just the bad cases that stick out in your mind. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,389
    I had many disasters from private hospitals referred to me back in the NHS, so the problem works both ways.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,061
    punkdoc said:
    I had many disasters from private hospitals referred to me back in the NHS, so the problem works both ways.
    Ditto.
     Nuffield took over £3,000 to do a "routine" hernia op on Hubby about 20 years ago, when it went tits up , they sent him the NHS hospital down the road. They couldn't give a toss about him. 
    Devon.
    All I know is that the private hospital doctor saved David’s life, it it hadn’t been for him doing a world wide research, he wouldn’t be here now. 

Lyn said:
    All I know is that the private hospital doctor saved David’s life, it it hadn’t been for him doing a world wide research, he wouldn’t be here now. 
    Lots of lives are saved by NHS doctors every day
    Devon.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 879
    edited December 2019
    With six cancers, a brain aneurysm and multiple minor procedures my wife has had plenty of experience of both private hospitals and NHS ones. When she has experienced trouble it has been in NHS hospitals and in GP’s practices but that is not meant as an overarching criticism of the NHS service. It is often exemplary and, with a few rare exceptions, she has been impressed by the hospital doctors with whom she has interacted. The NHS cannot be blamed when it is starved of funds by politicians and an electorate who puts them in power.
    BenCotto said:
     The NHS cannot be blamed when it is starved of funds by politicians and an electorate who puts them in power.
    Especially when some of those who complain loudest have paid in least, or nothing at all.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,599
    My brother was in a private hospital for a minor op where they perforated his bowel without noticing ... he nearly bled out before they noticed ... they called an ambulance and sent him to the nearest A&E ... they didn’t have the facilities (blood) or staff for emergency care apparently. 

So much easier to run an efficient set up if you don't have to cope with unplanned events like accidents and emergencies eh? 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,389
    One of the biggest problems from the perspective of the NHS, is that you might be having a procedure privately, but if something goes wrong, you will be transferred to the NHS, which may well lead to the cancellation of operations within the NHS, in order to fit you in.
    It often seems to be forgotten, that the vast majority of the Dr's that work in the private sector also work in the NHS, so all you are really paying for: is a nice room, better food, and a lot of sycophancy. [ sorry personal feelings intruding there ]
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
    Apart from my sons treatment, I haven’t found any of the cases in our family was due to lack of funds.