The NHS

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,061
    I called the Doc 2 weeks ago today at 1pm, saw the doc at 3pm, next day had bloods taken, 2 days later had ultrasound, 6 days later , referred to surgical team, saw them yesterday and will be back in on Friday. 
    Can't fault my treatment
    Devon.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,049
    That's really good @Hostafan1. Hopefully you'll soon be 'as good as new'!
    edited December 2019
    Lizzie27 said:
    That's really good @Hostafan1. Hopefully you'll soon be 'as good as new'!
    Thanks so much ,not sure I've ever been that good, lol. 
    I think I may have mentioned before .... I LOVE THE NHS
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,013
    Hostafan, I’m so pleased they sent you to Exeter and not Derriford, you’d still be waiting for initial consultation.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    Hostafan, I’m so pleased they sent you to Exeter and not Derriford, you’d still be waiting for initial consultation.
    Neither, I'm going to Barnstaple. The joys of living in the middle of all 3. ( middle of nowhere?? )
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,013
    I thought OH was in Exeter? 
    Horrible drive up to Barnstable.  Take care.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

OH had his radiotherapy/chemo at Exeter, everything else in Barnstaple.
    Barnstaple is the easiest drive of the 3 and much cheaper car park, lol
    Devon.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,142
    Oo NHS car parking! Don’t get me started! 
    We are ‘lucky’ to now have free car parking for patients in Wales (if you can find a space and are fit enough to walk from the car). I’ve seen families struggle to find funds for parking in the past and have to do convoluted trips and lifts to keep the cost down. The staff parking is usually free (unless contracted to a company) however the car park may not necessarily be on site so a park and ride bus or a walk is often required. I don’t really mind, but it can add up to an hour to your working day. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 879
    On page 1 I reported some serious concerns I had about how the NHS dealt with my wife’s mouth cancer (the failure to clear an infected operation site and a disappearing nurse). But that is far from all:

An eye surgeon who failed to do proper tests and consequently did not spot the underlying problem of the brain tumour. Had it have been identified at that point it is quite probable that the sight could have been saved in that eye. Later on medical notes were altered to say tests had been done. They had not.

An NHS dentist who treated her for 30 years. All seemed fine. When he retired and a new dentist took over he declared it to be a disaster zone requiring a huge amount of very expensive restorative work.

A GP who failed to send on to the hospital a request for a mammogram. The three week delay meant stage 3 cancer was advancing unnecessarily.

A GP who was asked to look at a mouth ulcer, dismissed it as nothing to worry about, and therefore missed the chance of early diagnosis of mouth cancer.

An eye surgeon who had to be pressed really hard to agree to an MRI scan and only conceded because of past cancer occurrences. “I have gone to a lot of trouble for you” he said, somewhat testily. Asked to elaborate it turned out that he, personally, had taken a set of medical notes to an office on the floor above. Gee, thanks.

A 36 hour wait for a GP call back to discuss torn ligaments and a broken bone in the foot. By the time the call did come through my wife had been to the private hospital, had it x rayed and diagnosed and a support boot fitted.

Isn’t the NHS wonderful? I’m not convinced.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,049
    I'm sorry for both you and your wife @Ben Cotto, that's a terrible list of missed opportunities.