The NHS

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,013
    I was just reading about dog and cat insurances, as this poster has said, but they don’t always cover everything, shop around for insurance or it could be a waste of money. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,067
    From my experience with dog insurance I hope that we never have to have a similar system for humans. I've no doubt that the system is aimed to confuse and stress people so that they pay for a higher premium. The range of cover for various problems, variation in excess charges for different things and additional % charge of the total cost on top, time limits for treatment, treatment that is only covered if you renew with the same insurer next year for an unknown cost, caveats for all kinds of minor things, you could't get a like for like cost comparison if you tried. I've taken a gamble this year and not insured the dog beyond the most minor cover. For a decent cover at his age I'd need to pay about £300 a year with £300 excess on any claim plus a percentage of the vet bills on top. I've put the same money aside to cover any bills though.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,767
    The potential problem with introducing a fee for appointments is that it would need to be at a level where the cost of not attending had a noticeable effect.  That, as others have said, might put people off who genuinely need to see a doctor but can't afford high costs.  Any scheme is likely to have exemptions for those on low income, benefits etc all of which reduce the effect of introducing a charge.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,061
    A colleague of mine has just paid £2,500 for a puppy  ( French bulldog I think ) and he's paying £75 a month for insurance which he's been told will increase next year.
    Total madness IMHO.

Devon.
  • An elderly lady in the village now more or less owns a little pug.  Her grandson apparently wanted "a puppy" and paid over a £1000 - after just a few weeks, it required a vital operation. He now hasn't the time for it but at least Grandma has given it a good home.
    An ex neighbour who already had one dog, purchased another from an "iffy" breeder which had all the signs of mange - handed their money over and then complained bitterly about the vet bills  which ensued when they realised that the dog required treatment.

Funnily enough , the insurance for the dog DOESN'T include breathing troubles, funny that eh?
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,067
    Local Gumtree seems to be full of those bulldog puppies for sale at the moment. Xmas I assume. I don't really understand the appeal, there's a few locally and they're all horrible dogs.
    and inbred with inherent breathing problems
    Devon.
    sorry @punkdoc, we seem to have veered off at a tangent. 
    I'm off for my endoscopy on Friday morning , hubby having a dye injection / xray later that morning. 
    Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,739
    My Mums eye operation appointment has come through. It has taken five appointments and 15 months to get to this stage. It is for New Years Eve at 7.30 am.  Well she should be able to see next year, and hopefully won't trip over another kerb that she can't see.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3