Forum home The potting shed

The NHS

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,837
    Sounds awful @Ben Cotto. I agree with you, when the NHS is good, it's usually very good but in many cases, it's not. I don't know what the answer is.  I think standards of nursing started to slip when they introduced degree courses for nurses. There was surely scope for basic nurses with no or little academic qualifications but a world of experience and compassion to be kept on and encouraged plus more highly qualified nursing staff.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,481
    Totally agree @Lizzie27.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
    Sorry to hear that @Rik56
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    edited December 2019
    Our experience of the NHS's handing of Husband's cancer has been superb from start to finish.
    We were given a timetable of treatment way back in about April / May and absolutely everything was done exactly to the time scale . 

A few times we called the hospital at night and we were never patronised or made to feel we were over reacting  or wasting anyone's time and the following day they always called back to see how things had gone overnight.

After 7 hours of surgery his surgeon personally phoned to tell me how it had gone and on the day of discharge even asked the exact date of a holiday we have booked for next March so she can arrange his follow up surgery in time. 
    Devon.
    OH had his MRI scan this morning. Seen on the dot, in and out in an hour. Staff very friendly and explained the experience well he said.  Brilliant!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Saw GP last night, suspected gall bladder infection, antibiotics prescribed and bloods taken this morning. Nurse practitioner and GP have both called today to check on how I'm feeling.Another call booked for 9am tomorrow Brilliant.
    Devon.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,077
    My experience yesterday

-I found a lump. Having had chemo a few years ago I was worried it was a recurrance.
    -3pm ring the GP to make an appointment
    -4pm go to the appointment
    -5pm cancer ruled out as unlikely but have been booked in for scans available on Friday.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,421
    pansyface said:

KT, I experienced something like your wife’s situation. All I can say is, doctors are only human. With all the things that can go wrong in a human body it’s a wonder that so many of us function at all. And as for pinpointing the exact cause of a malfunction in some part or other....

Your wife will find an answer, I am sure. 
    I hope you are right, but this has been going on for years.  The underlying problem I believe is a lack of continuity of contact with a single GP.  I don't know about other surgeries, but at ours you are asked the purpose of the appointment which is supposedly added to the notes.  Get to the GP and they don't have any idea why you are there, and haven't read the notes.  With almost fixed 10 minute appointments the time is either taken up by the GP re-reading the notes, or going back to the start to try to explain the symptoms and what has happened to date.
    Within our surgery, which is now a combination of 3 previously separate surgeries, there are over 20 doctors on the 'permanent' list plus any number of junior doctors training as GPs (to be fair they tend to be the one's who actually show most interest), and a constant stream of locums.  I know the problems with staff retention, but none of it helps to get a resolution.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,421
    The latest potential problem is GPs effectively ruling out house calls.  Back in 2005 my mother, 86 at the time, was complaining about severe abdominal pain.  My brother phoned the surgery and a doctor came out. She was hospitalised immediately and sadly died from liver cancer just a few days later.  With the current, and new, systems I doubt she would have even seen a doctor before passing away.
    My sympathies @KT53 - you have been through the mill it seems for a number of years past.