Forum home The potting shed

Anyone cook - or not cook but throw things together - out there?

• B3B3 Posts: 13,266
    Well, it sounds marginally more appetizing. However, I'll have the stick if no one else wants it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 459
    The stick will probably taste better than the concoction I'm thinking of doing...Especially coated in pomodoro and crisped up oven open coals, whilst being basted with a garlic olive oil mix....
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,551
    I made OH a cheese and walnut savoury cake today, he was delighted. Every time I look at it I wish it had sugar and sultanas minus the cheese.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    edited December 2019
    Oh the joys of cooking something just for yourself! You don't have to leave out something vital to avoid offending unappreciative tastebuds. If it goes wrong, nobody knows.
    Fish pie,tabouleh, bangers and mash, liver and bacon. Things I cook when I l find myself  in blissful culinary solitude - not all together.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,170
    I thought Mark Anthony's speech went:  "I come to curry Caesar, not to braise him."
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 459
    ...well, no mocks - so just gone for it... Not quite to Nigella's 'spec' (no eggs - and added custard as one layer as my son likes custard! A bit of Cointreau to soak dampen the pannetone, and a white port instead of Marsala in the marscapone) - but it went together easily enough. The proof is in the pudding though as they (ubiquitous) say. It's currently chilling in the fridge for tomorrow. If you don't hear from me again - botulism....

Merry Christmas to you all. Hope you have a great time and spend it with the people you love - much better than presents eh?

Ho Ho Ho,
    The Ghost Of Christmas Present

PS just about to mix up the cranberry, apricot and port stuffing.... One port for the stuffing, one for me...one more port for the stuffing...one more for me....until bottle empty is what it says on the recipe....
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • steveTu said:
     If you don't hear from me again - botulism....

One port for the stuffing, one for me...one more port for the stuffing...one more for me....until bottle empty is what it says on the recipe....
    Hopefully you will be back but if not, at least it sounds as if you will be passing away quite happily if not a bit wobbly ;)
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,335
    Steve, I have just made something quite similar. Orange slices steeped in marsala, chocolate panettone slices, mascarpone mixed with Tesco finest vanilla custard, the whole thing topped with dried orange slices and miniature Lindor chocolates. 

There’s a Betty’s Christmas pudding for the traditionalists.
    Not in the mood for eating or cooking. ( virus coupled with innate sloth)Had a request for sausage meat stuffing. Found a couple of sausages in the freezer. Thawed then and skinned them and squeezed them into some of my normal, delicious ,but not intentionally vegetarian stuffing. That'll do.
      I had to lie down after emptying the washing machine. Why can't someone invent a duvet cover that doesn't take superhuman efforts to use? 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,360
    I started the trifle for boxing day. Two apricot swiss rolls from m&S. I would have bought strawberry but they were short dated and I was not willing to go back again. Soaked it in Harveys Bristol cream.  Tin of mixed fruit in juice, juice used to make up strawberry jelly. When that has set, another tin of fruit in lemon jelly. Then Raspberry jelly. It is not normally like this but I discovered that the three jellys in the cupboard are different flavours , and at 5pm on Xmas eve, they get what we have.  Tomorrow night  Birds custard will go on. Whipped cream on top on boxing day.   I made a similar trifle in Australia one xmas. All the ex pats loved it. That was the xmas we had to put the glasses in the freezer, and still add ice to the white wine. 40C on Xmas day. Best wishes to Pat, it sounds awful at the moment.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3