Leave or remove fallen leaves?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,676
    I mulch over them
    On and on the rain will fall, like tears from the star
    On and on the rain will say, how fragile we are
  • The leaves are raked off the lawn, paths and driveways, bagged, and dug into soil when broken down or they are put on compost heap. We don't rake up the fallen leaves from beds and borders because we don't want to disturb the wood chip already laid on them.
  • The leaves are raked off the lawn, paths and driveways, bagged, and dug into soil when broken down or they are put on compost heap. We don't rake up the fallen leaves from beds and borders because we don't want to disturb the wood chip already laid on them.

Do you just let leaves rot down on top of the wood chip? You can use a blower to clear dry leaves without removing the chip
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,093
    I leave mine too - they give a mulch, provide hibernation and habitats plus it’s just easier. I can understand a bit of clear from a good lawn, but nature sorts most of them out. I do collect ones from the driveway and bag them up for leaf mulch. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,676
    No need for leaf blowers here - it's windy enough. They end up under the hedges before too long. In a year like this, when it's so wet, it takes a bit longer. But they never stay on the 'lawn' long enough to be a problem.
    On and on the rain will fall, like tears from the star
    On and on the rain will say, how fragile we are
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 865
    I never used to bother much in previous years, raking the leaves up in a fairly desultory way to generate a ‘dalek’ full of potential mulch. But now, armed with my Stihl battery-powered blower, I’m a person possessed. I’m almost shinning up the trees to get the last leaves marshalled into place: this year two daleks and 5 big black bin liners’ worth.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,700
    I sweep up leaves on the paths and chuck them on the garden,they dissapear fairly quickly.
    I have just raked some off the lawn as they were so wet they had formed almost a skin over the top.In drier weather I just leave them.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,669
    If you have a lot of trouble with slugs, as I do, you are much better to remove them from the borders because slugs hide in them, eat them and breed in them. In fact, I wear gloves for this job because there are so many slugs its disgusting!
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 787
    Ours are removed from lawns but left on flower beds, as said the worms take them under, helps to feed the soil, just ensure leaves aren't smothering crowns of plants, we have a lot of leaf mold from the many leaves we rake up.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,445
    edited December 2019
    The leaves are raked off the lawn, paths and driveways, bagged, and dug into soil when broken down or they are put on compost heap. We don't rake up the fallen leaves from beds and borders because we don't want to disturb the wood chip already laid on them.

Do you just let leaves rot down on top of the wood chip? You can use a blower to clear dry leaves without removing the chip
    .No need for blowers here either raisingirl most of the leaves are blown away before they have time to rot down.