Leave or remove fallen leaves?

I have removed all the fallen leaves from the lawn but still have lots in the beds. etc. I am confused as to whether i should remove the remaining in ones in the beds, because, on the one hand i have read that they can carry diseases etc and on the other that they are good protection from frosts.  Can anyone clarify please? t i a

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058
    I leave them in the interest of all the wildlife they support through winter. My exception would be for little Alpine plant if I grew them
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,056
    I also remove them from the lawn and from the crown of plants which don’t like to be wet (per Nut’s suggestion).

In spring, if there is still leaf debris around plants vulnerable to slug and snail attack(eg the young growth of hostas),  I clear those areas as part of the spring tidy up. A lot of it is just left for the worms to mix into the soil.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 548
    I collect the leaves from under roses that have Black Spot to try and lessen the fungus the following year, otherwise I leave them.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 572
    Up to you,  I blow them clear if I get time as the beds look so much better
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,745
    My dad always left them, he said they rot down, the worms will do the job.
    I like to take some off the borders, don’t know why really as I’ll be piling mulch over them soon. 
    They seem to disappear off the grass eventually, probably blow away here 💨🌬
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    I leave all mine too. I'd only move them from vulnerable plants, as the ground can become very wet here, so it's not great for some emerging plants if they then have sodden leaves on them, as @Topbird says.
    Any alpine type plants I have are either in gravel, in pots, or not near areas where there's much dropping foliage, so it's not an issue with those either. If they were in the ground anywhere I'd keep them clear. 

I love watching the blackies flick the foliage up, looking for little treasures underneath too  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 336
    I rake them from the lawn but leave them on the borders. Natures compost  :)
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 83
    My garden is on moist soil so fallen leaves tend to make great slug habitats...I clear them when I can be bothered but if they get left ce la vie
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 939
    Fairygirl said:
    I love watching the blackies flick the foliage up, looking for little treasures underneath too  :)
    Me too, they can flick things quite far with that beak! Made a right mess of my bark area.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,738
    I clear them from borders and the lawn if I've time, the inclination and good weather. I try to do vulnerable plants first and where bulbs are planted.