Forum home The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS 🎄 December 2019

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,357
    Trip to Allotments this am checked the Apple store & a mouse (or several) has found it's way in so morning spent sorting that out. 
    Meant to say at end of last month we only just eat the last of our own tomatoes last week. I don't think we have ever had them this late before. 
    AB Still learning

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,529
    My elderly mare is ill, doesn't want her horse nuts this evening, vet is coming. I'm worried about tick fever as I think her gums are rather pale, but she really didn't want me to look, was tricky.

We've been clearing leaves this afternoon. Finished the kitchen terrace, lime tree and 2 lilacs have finished shedding leaves.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,315
    Oh dear @Busy-Lizzie hugs ... hope he can sort her out. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,498
    Evening. 
    I hope the mare is ok @Busy-Lizzie
    Just settling down with a few choccies - it’s our equivalent of an advent calendar to have a few chocs each night (well that’s my excuse!). 
    I hope you all are doing ok. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
    edited December 2019
    Thank you @Dovefromabove and @AuntyRach The vet came, shame it was after dark, but the barn/garage is well lit and open fronted. He thinks she could have Cushings, but she's always had a shaggy coat and her appetite was good until now. He took blood samples and has rung this evening to say it's not tick fever but the white blood count is up, implying an infection. He's sending blood off to see if it's Cushings.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,379
    Had to google Cushings @Busy-Lizzie.  Not something that came up in stable management classes and exams when we did our BHS thingies in the riding club all those years ago.  I hope it's not and that she's just got a temporary infection of some sort.   Worrying for you and not good for her in this weather either.

Been busy with new car stuff all day really but have found one we like and agree on and which is in stock.   Just need to get the finances in place and Bingo.   Fingers crossed.   

Enjoy your chocs @AuntyRach.  We're finishing off the chocolate beetroot cake I made for Patch group yesterday - lovely gooey cake and serious ganache topping.

I hope the meeces left you some apples @Allotment Boy
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,315
    Good morning all 😊 ☕️ 

Hope @Pat E ’s medical appointments are going ok. 

Looks chilly again outside 🥶 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Good morning @Dovefromabove and all.
    -5 here, big frost.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 8,809
    Hi Dove. Yesterday’s appointment over now (a flow test, which he was a little worried about because of our need to travel for a couple of hours whilst consuming lots of water). Tomorrow’s appt might be less traumatic. 😃
    S. E. NSW
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,970
    edited December 2019
    Morning ❄️❄️❄️ 

Last night’s party turned out to be a sit down meal in an oak panelled dining room complete with chandeliers ......felt like I was in a Jane Austen novel. Met lots of gardeners that work on different days ....all very chatty and friendly. 

Heading back there again this evening for a lecture by Jimi Blake - a gardener from Wicklow who gardens in an adventurous way .....looking forward to it.
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.