Tunnels under lawn

Hi, something is digging long tunnels just under the surface of my lawn. No mole hills or obvious entry points but long tunnels which collapse when I stand on them creating an uneven lawn. Any ideas of what’s causing this and how to get rid? Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,676
    Hello @daveboyce50 and welcome  :)

That sounds very much like field or bank voles ... info and advice here

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=792

Hope that helps  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,745
    Have a look in your flower beds for mole hills, they don’t always come up in the grass, they dig really long tunnels here and they’re only just below the surface. 
    If they’re making the lawn collapse I think it could be something bigger than voles. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,653
    I'm with Lyn on this. People imagine molehills all over the grass and sometimes this really is the case, but moles may go down or come up in places you cannot see easily. Have a look among the borders or next door or the grassed pavement edge. Is there a field next to you? Certainly sounds like moles to me.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 599
    edited 1 December
    We have voles (I know they are voles not moles because I trap them) and the galleries run everywhere under the grass.  We have frequent tunnel collapses and sink into the grass. 

Vole galleries are much shallower than moles, hence the collapses.