Beech Hedge & Early Leaf Drop

Our small beech hedge seems to be shedding its leaves and not holding on until spring when the new leaves emerge.
Anyone know why this is happening (we wondered if the prolonged wet weather could be a cause).

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    Nothing to do with rain. They all shed some foliage, but more mature ones hold on to it better.
    Is it a young hedge? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,676
    The leaves that remain on beech through the winter are young ones, this means that the clipping of the hedge needs to be done at the right time of year to ensure that the hedge is covered with young leaves by autumn ... details here  https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/gardening-advice/how-to-plant-hedge/beech-hedging-pruning

Getting the timing right should give you a thick golden hedge for the winter.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• We did cut it back later than usual so will definitely bear that in mind when clipping and shaping in future, many thanks.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    Ah - yes, trimming it a bit late won't have done it any favours. 
    I used to do my Dad's mature hedge in early September. Weather was still favourable, and newer foliage and cut branches/stems weren't then affected by the first frosts in October.  You can do it earlier than that if you want though :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....